Japanese broadcaster sends false alarm saying North Korea launched missile

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/16/japanese-broadcaster-sends-fal.html

1 Like

Clumsily hacked, are we?

I’m starting to wonder if “dimwitted intern who used a badly-designed menu system to set off a fake alert” was cover for “we have no idea what’s going on with our antiquated systems”.

10 Likes

Why not both?

9 Likes

How confident are we that North Korea won’t overreact if there’s a similar false alarm on their side?

8 Likes

One must maintain a sense of humor in todays world, for survival’s sake.

5 Likes

Well…the alarm is a guy with a damp flare pistol in a tree, so it’ll likely go unseen, regardless.

5 Likes

said a man being walked toward the gallows.

2 Likes

I get the feeling

• Reality is like a giant internet forum.

• The overworked web admin is feverishly trying to delete the huge number of timelines where we all get incinerated this week. Some stuff is going to slip through.

4 Likes

This and nothing more

2 Likes

Another one of these and we could face a potential Boy-Who-Cried-Wolf disaster once an actual missile threat were to become a reality.

No we couldn’t. We civilians could become complacent, maybe even journalists are fallible, but our military won’t be fooled by a hundred wolf-boys. They may not be flawless, but I trust them to stay awake all night.

2 Likes

All the cool kids are doing it!

Normally I’d take this as an opportunity to mock N. Korean tech, but after seeing Hawaii’s system I’ll pass this time.

5 Likes

I completely missed this. No one in the office has mentioned it. Any other Japan-based posters notice this?

Now the earthquake alert that went off on every phone in Tokyo a couple weeks ago had us all briefly jump out of our skin (and then calmly wait for it to hit. At least that fear lasts mere seconds, unlike what the Hawaiians suffered over the weekend.

It is not the first time, we have had three or four alerts before. Admittedly North Korea had carried out missile tests at those times, but while the missiles passed over the northern island of Hokkaido the alerts were given as far away as Nagano Pref. (about 800 km away).

2 Likes

Nope. Didn’t go to the phone based notification system.

Considering how many times the DPRK has launched this way over the years I dunno if “suffer” is the right word or not.

Rhetors and Incantors. It’s all fun and games until someone leaves a dinosaur fossil in a concrete parking lot foundation.

1 Like

You don’t think that the fear and panic, and rushing to find the safest place to hide their kids that the Hawaiians experienced for almost 40 minutes counts as suffering?

2 Likes

North Korea does not believe for one minute that these are accidents (although I personally do). They are no doubt sure that these are planned drills, and that the US and Japan are actively preparing for war. And that may not be a bad thing for them to believe.

1 Like

Ah, nuclear brinksmanship – it’s all fun and games until someone loses a city!

They were shoving kids down the drain! https://www.shtfplan.com/conspiracy-fact-and-theory/shock-video-children-were-placed-in-storm-drains-during-false-hawaii-ballistic-missile-warning_01132018

2 Likes