Bad Little Children's Books

Aaaaaahahaaaaa, I forgot about Unwanted Thoughts. Thanks for the reminder :mask:

Let’s keep it clean and wholesome, for the children.

5 Likes

Unwanted Thoughts can’t be forgotten, whether I remind you or not. It comes to me in the night when I’ve been drinking, and then I think to myself, “What was I drinking for but to prevent this?” and consider harder substances.

2 Likes

Well I had pretty much blocked it out, although now I understand why I’ve been having sudden panic attacks in the shower lately.

2 Likes

More Liartown

The What? How? Wonder Book of 3/4" x 1/8" Threaded Hex Bushings

I really love the mix of delightfully surreal stuff contrasted against the brutally surreal stuff. It’s like an Adult Swim TV show that only got one season. Like Xavier Renegade Angel, or Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell.

4 Likes

Okay, last Liartown from me for the night, I promise:

Fuck You, You Fucking Fuck by Shel Silverstein

2 Likes

oh, I agree completely though I got in touch with the stories a decade earlier. another example for a dark plot aimed at children are Momo and Krabat, while I read the first one not before my 20s I loved the second one.

but not all German children literature is scary, my parents had to read me Jim Knopf so often that they tried to get rid of the book…

night? it’s not even noon!

2 Likes

You’re in Germany right? So I’m like, 9 hours ahead behind you.

It’s late here on the US West Coast.

1 Like

when I was trainee in the corporate subsidiaries dept of Carl Zeiss one of my jobs was to collect data about newly bought companies in California - me and my US counterpart reached a point were asynchronous mails simply did not work anymore.

not so easy on my part, the articles of apprenticeship demanded that I had to be at the workplace before 8 am and Geman laws forbid a worktime of > 10 hours. the exceptional permission of the dept head was not sufficient, to make the phone call possible the training director had to chip in, too.

4 Likes

Oh look at mister fancy pants with his humane work laws, and trustworthy government and the thriving euro bolstered mainly due to Germany’s economic productivity.

When I was working night shifts from 4pm to 1am, I ended up meeting a lot of people around the world on Twitch and other game-streaming sites. Lots of German and Scandihoovian guys my age with no discernible accent. Aussies and Kiwis and Brits. A few Estonians. People from all over the place. I never realized my knowledge of world cultures was so stunted and dumb until I actually met people from all over the world in live chats.

10 Likes

Possibly the most German title ever for a children’s book.

Found it

2 Likes

I love the coloring job.

I would have seriously loved this book when I was a little kid. Not even joking. Stuff like this fascinated me. Anything involving hardware, with the more detail the better.

2 Likes

We Dutch are said to be direct. No euphemisms, we just call it “poep” :smiley:

4 Likes

“About a little mole who wanted to know who pooped on his head”?

The German title is Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat, which means the same thing except it doesn’t explicitly mention poop. I’m not sure where The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business came from, but I think it’s way funnier than Vom kleinen Maulwurf, der wissen wollte, wer ihm auf den Kopf gemacht hat.

Yes that’s it, good translation :wink:

I think the dutch title is inmensly more funny for kids. The other two, with the euphemisms, are funnier for adults. What I find funny is that the dutch stereotype for directness is confirmed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh shit, I just figured that out now! And I’m a native English speaker :confounded:

3 Likes

Yeah it took me a while too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This book is here in three language versions. Also:

Next to the Dutch and English version.

1 Like

Let me check my French translation skills:

Of the little mole who wants to know what someone has done on its head?

2 Likes

Probably yes, my English is not good enough to know if it is ‘at’ or ‘on’ its head. :wink: In direct translation you would think they just left the ‘poop’ away.
“About the little Mole who wants to know who has done on it’s head” is probably also OK.

2 Likes