Bad Little Children's Books

If I remember my grade-school French classes, “sur” generally translates into English as “on” or “over.” “At,” for most uses, would be “à.”

And your translation sounds more correct than mine; I translated the first “qui” as “who” but not the second one.

2 Likes

I think I’d translate it as “The little mole who wanted to know who went on his head.” De could be ‘of’ or ‘about’ but French uses it like crazy where in English it can be left implied. Maybe the first qui could be translated as ‘that’, as a matter of taste, since a mole can be a thing as well as a person. Voulait is past tense so, ‘wanted’. Faire fills a big hole where English uses a more specific ‘do’ or ‘make’ type verbs, so you have a lot of choice when you’re translating it. ‘Went’ seems appropriate for the target audience, as in “went to the toilet” rather than anything too explicit.

3 Likes

Thanks. French conjugation was never my strong point.

1 Like

Sure thing. I paid good money to learn French, I’m going to show off at every available opportunity :smile:

Would you say your understanding is… imparfait?

1 Like

In his dessert? :grinning:

(Never did lean French…now I can’t eat out at those fancy restaurants because I suspect everything on the menu is just a trick to serve me snails…)

1 Like

Imparfait = imperfect, it’s the past tense that transforms vouloir (to want) into voulait (wanted).

Expliquer une blague, c’est comme disséquer une grenouille. Personne le trouve drôle et après, la grenouille est morte. :frog: :knife: :scream:

Snails are great, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett just avoid anything with too much avec in it. Oh and don’t go near andouillette:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.