Badass Dragon Scavengers of the Void - pregame

Did you say something, Kass?

2 Likes

Letā€™s light the tires and kick the fires you old bucket of bolts. Itā€™s SHOWTIME!

2 Likes

Doors are open, kids! Feel free to wrangle anyone that you think would enjoy playing another chapter in Charybdis.

2 Likes

ā€¦

Iā€™m kind of interested, but I have no idea what this is, and none of the stuff in this thread (or any of the others) tells me anything useful about setting, rules, expectations, etc.

Iā€™m the type of person whose creativity scales linearly with the amount of information Iā€™m given. Without information about what exactly this is, thereā€™s nothing to spark my interest and allow me to blow that spark of an idea into a full-fledged character.

Iā€™d suggest you go back and look at some of @patraceā€™s old games threads. I think this will be similar:

Start here:

Some basic choices, all the dice rolling to be done by the GM. Otherwise, just do a bit of role-playing.
(Iā€™m assuming that @messana will be doing something broadly similar)

Yeah, but for role playing you need to have a role, and something to play off of. For a role, you need a character to wear, and for a character to have any depth, you need backstory. To create a backstory, you need a setting to place that character in.
To play that character off of something, you need conflict. Conflict is generally delivered through plot. Conflict can develop between two characters, but if their relationship remains static, the conflict loses his potency. So, you need character development, the opportunity for which is also provided by plot.

Iā€™m not seeing much semblance of either setting nor plot (nor, again, any useful description of the rules) in any thread where I look.

So go nuts. Youā€™re now space elf nimelennar. Into the void, right?

3 Likes

I burned out on the ā€œgo nutsā€ type of roleplaying in my IRC days. I like my roleplaying to be something I can care about. If I donā€™t care about what I write, why should anyone else care either?

Fair enough.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t expect this to be on the scale of Wanderfoundā€™s game. I guess thatā€™s more the kind of detail youā€™re hoping for?

1 Like

Yeah, probably. Or @Ignatiusā€™s game.

2 Likes

Broadly similar. The core gameplay loop is still:

1. Review last weekā€™s mission results (stat adjustments, damage taken, loot earned, etc.)
  2. Spend that loot to buy some new things to improve those stats
  3. Pick a new mission
  4. Wait until next week

Iā€™ll roll up stats for everyone once we have all the players on board at the start of turn 1. Itā€™s what youā€™d get if a Choose Your Own Adventure Book and a JRPG had babies!

But seriously: It sounds like you and I have similar dispositions when it comes to character creation. I want to know history, major players, pantheons, the works. I want to meticulously craft a backstory that meshes with canon in an interesting way and generate personality quirks from that.

I only signed up for the last one because jlw surfaced it to the front page of BB. I was completely blind: ā€œOk, Iā€™m a space lobster, now what? What do space lobsters do? Am I playing a space lobster properly?ā€ It made me uncomfortable for the first two or three turns, but a distinct character finally emerged in my mind. There is a plot, and while a little more gets revealed from turn to turn, much of what happens is an emergent property of the stories the players tell themselves.

I loved it for the collaborative story with a light dusting of maths, but we also had players that stopped by once a week to pick a new mission without doing a lick of role playing. Anywhere on that spectrum of play styles is welcome. And we also had a bunch of folks drop out after they forgot about it or found it not to their taste. The game handles that too.

If you sign up and itā€™s not to your liking? No worries. You can take your character out in a blaze of glory or just go idle. The game is written with the expectation that we will lose a number of players for any number of reasons.

ETA: And youā€™re absolutely right - this makes for a lousy ā€˜pregameā€™ thread as thereā€™s nothing here that would help a new player understand whatā€™s going on. This wound up being a place for me to workshop the development of an automation back end with previous players.

3 Likes

I picked ā€œMechanical Space Bananaā€ because I wanted to gank @SteampunkBananaā€™s avatar. Then, I had to come up with an explanation, origin of monocle, etc.

Previous game I was a ā€œSpace Bee-manā€ because everybody was slagging on Jupiter Ascending and I thought it was funny. It grew as time went on.

5 Likes

I have no idea what Iā€™m doing, but I saw all the cool kids lining up.

2 Likes

This is me in a nutshell. I never played D&D, never had a character roll until Wastelands. I figured it out after I made some mistakes that werenā€™t permanent.

3 Likes

I played D&D, some Toon, and a little Espionage back, oh, 25-30 years ago? I miss that but havenā€™t had the free time in a long while to think about finding a group to play with. Iā€™m oblivious to this universe but I figure the worst I can do is embarrass myself or get killed.

2 Likes

whynotboth.gif

6 Likes

Sure! Feels good to have a goal. I like how this story is fleshing out already!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve discovered that Iā€™ve automated everything Iā€™d hoped to automate (and then some) and now have to restrain myself from trying to implement more new features before game start. Looks like everyone thatā€™s signed up has made it up to the Coleridge so far.

Weā€™re off to a solid start with 10 players, but Iā€™m itching to do a summoning dance after seeing a few other familiar faces lurking aboutā€¦

5 Likes

At least Falkayn is dead. Although I imagine thereā€™s a chance an associate of his might make an appearance.

3 Likes