Badass Dragons of the Wasteland - Round Nine Results

First Rule of the Wasteland: You do not mess with a gentleman’s coif.

Desmond Balthar, in possession of a mere 7HP after his exchange with Wez, didn’t feel “the better part of valor” would permit him to continue the engagement, so he sped off in search of another spot where his Thunderdome talents might be an asset that mightn’t be thrown away against a foe with a 25HP advantage. But Wez didn’t feel inclined to let Balthar get away quite so easily. He’d been cultivating that mohawk for months and Wez really wasn’t looking forward to the razzing he could expect in the locker room after the final bell. The Caddy was much slower than the Cobra, but he pursued Balthar with grim determination… and Balthar failed to notice.

The Cobra rolled down to the bottom of the sphere, where Channing Hunter could be found hastily dumping a jug of Bar’s Leaks into her Toyota’s radiator. “You good, Channing?” barked Balthar.

“Never better,” she replied, “But maybe a bit thirsty.”

“Where’s Toecutter?”

“Think he’s over there, pulling the bed off his Dodge.” Sure enough, the would-be tyrant was employing a Sawzall to cut most of the flattened bed off the old truck before the jagged metal cut a tire or something.

“Need a hand?”

"Balthar, behind you!!!"

having mopped and emptied the bucket, we now continue where we left off

"Balthar, behind you!!!"

Fleetwood’s Caddy bore down upon the Cobra’s rear at full throttle. Channing had no time to aim properly, but swiveled her RPG and let fly at a target that was, more or less fortunately, large and increasingly close. Ka-BOOM!! The armored front grille of the Caddy exploded in flame and shrapnel, leaving Wez 10HP lighter than before. Wez snarled and returned the favor, carving up the Hilux with the Caddy’s hi-mount chainguns for 9HP damage. Balthar floored it and muscled the battered Cobra in a tight circle, bringing his phasers to bear on the huge Caddy. Holes bloomed throughout the doublestacked Fisher bodywork, resulting in 8HP damage as the Caddy’s left rear upper quarterpanel fell completely off and lay smoking on the floor of the cage. Channing took her time lining up her next shot with the RPG, aiming for the enormous 502 big-block engine. The blast landed square on top of the intake manifold, exploding the carb, obliterating the distributor cap and both valve covers, and spraying a shower of flaming oil over both windscreens, both immobilizing and blinding the Caddy for another 10HP of damage. Knowing Fleetwood’s ride was finished, Wez climbed out and stood on its roof, tearing off the one remaining chaingun and swinging it over to Balthar, determined to make him pay for the loss of his precious mohawk. Bullets flew toward the Cobra, and enough of them found their mark to tear another 5HP away, leaving Balthar gasping with only 2HP remaining. As Channing dropped her now-empty RPG launcher and grabbed for whatever weaponry she hadn’t yet exhausted, Balthar kicked in the phasers one last time,

melting the Caddy’s roof out from under Wez’s feet, igniting the fuel tanks, and in the resultant explosion, ripping loose another 5HP… bringing the Caddy down to -1.

Desmond caught his breath, exhausted, watching the flames lick at the steel cage, Cadillac parts strewn everywhere.

When what should suddenly appear at the leading edge of the Cobra’s hood to a deafening sting of shock-music?

Channing muttered, “Die, you cheatin’ sonofabitch,” then swung her busted chainsaw as hard as she could at the singed mohawk.

That turned out to be very hard indeed.

“Christ,” said Balthar. “What a mess.”

“I hate sore losers,” Channing replied.

Fifth round results:
Channing Hunter: 26HP remaining
Desmond Balthar: 2HP remaining
Wez: DEAD

6 Likes

Hey, where’d everybody go?

Everyone’s lost but me!

Hang on, coming!

1 Like
3 Likes

I went and updated Round E2.

Now, what ever happened with De’Ath? Oh, yes…

Having fashioned his cravat into a tourniquet to stanch the bleeding in his leg, Sir Gonville De’Ath looked up as Channing’s first grenade detonated the front end of Fleetwood’s Caddy. A glance to the left informed him that Toecutter had finished clearing the torn sheetmetal from his Dodge’s wheelwell, and was preparing to launch a sneak counterattack on Channing’s flank.

The Iso Grifo was hurting… hell, it didn’t look shipshape even before Bruce’s last grenade blew the grille and bonnet off:

But as long as he had HP to spend, De’Ath intended to spend them well.

“Oi! Toejam! Got a message here from your mate Brucie. Let me see now… what was it he said to me? Oh, yes: ‘AAAAIIIEEEEEE!!!’’ Hmm, well, pity I can’t quite get that soprano note just right. Why don’t you give it a go?”

De’Ath swung his old missile launcher 'round at the Dodge and squeezed the trigger. To no effect; he’d forgotten it had shot its load days ago, back during Round Four. Still, Toecutter was not amused.

He nailed the throttle and drove the Dodge right over Bruce’s smoldering Mazda, and the monster truck leaped into the air, directly at the Iso Grifo.

The Dodge swung its guns at the Iso and came down hard as De’Ath wheeled to the side. De’Ath ducked behind his doorsill as bullets stitched across the Iso Grifo, blowing both driver’s side tires (all right, Sir Gonville, tyres), and burning 10HP out of De’Ath’s accounts. De’Ath floored the accelerator and the burly old Rat engine screamed well beyond its redline as the shredded tyres (or tires) spun on the steel grating. De’Ath labored to get a bead on the big Dodge, but the Iso turned so painfully slowly. His guns thundered at the Dodge, but helplessly failed to land a single hit. Finally, De’Ath dragged the Iso out of the range of the Dodge’s main guns and paused for breath in the big truck’s blind spot to the rear. And then he remembered. And then, he remembered to hold his breath and duck.

The Dodge’s last blast of flames toasted the Iso for 9 more HP of damage, bringing De’Ath down to a total of 3HP. But De’Ath wasn’t fazed. Toecutter might be the coldest-blooded sonofabitch in the Antelope Valley, but he’d never last a sunny afternoon in the cutthroat hellscape that was La Jolla, CA. Employing the old trick that got him from San Diego to Huntington’s Bitch in the first place, De’Ath yanked the wheel and stabbed the throttle, and got the Iso up onto her two good tyres (I mean tires).

And in a trick the likes of which had never been seen in Thunderdome history, he drove on two wheels, pegging the speedometer at 137, all the way up the wall to the very pinnacle of the sphere. Then he yanked the wheel to the right and slammed on the brakes.

And the battered, proud Iso Grifo plummeted from the sky, directly toward Toecutter’s Dodge. “Now this,” yelled De’Ath, “is the way it’s done.”

SPLAT!!!

And with that, Hugh Mungous was instantly forgotten, and Sir Gonville De’Ath became the new audience favorite at Fleetwood’s Thunderdome.

Fifth round results:
Sir Gonville De’Ath: 3HP remaining
Toecutter: FLATTENED

6 Likes

Whew. Wow, that was cool. Okay, next up: what’s happening with Clankenstein, Junior, and the Genesis Device!

2 Likes

Aww, too classy. Here’s the version our game deserves:

2 Likes

Am I doing this rite?

3 Likes

4 Likes

It was more in response to Channing’s warning.

1 Like

In a boss fight, never forget:

5 Likes

I don’t know, but I think it’s about time some eagles showed up.

And not these guys.

2 Likes

Desmond rose from what was left of the interior. That sonofabitch Sanford was going to fix every last goddamned part on this for free for his doublecrossing laundry trick alone. He glanced at the wreckage slowly making its way to the bottom of the dome and saw a familiar circle buried beneath some dented fenders.

Pulling his friend from beneath Perky he sighed heavily. “Damn it Major! This is the second time I’ve had to pull you from the wreckage, and, frankly, it’s becoming tiresome. Stop being the hero, if you might.”

6 Likes

Oh yeah, I got that. I can just never resist the explosion at the end of the Twisted Sister version. Suits my aesthetic.

3 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I just haven’t had a moment to describe what happens when you turn up the Genesis all the way.

One can probably tell from rounds D and E above that I seem to be running low on adjectives. I should go skim through some Zelazny or Lovecraft real quick.

4 Likes

What I want to know is, where, in all this, is Bubba @bizmail_public?

I’m sure I’ve seen him lurking around the outside of the Thunderdome. Seems he was a little unwilling to go up against his old mucker. I’m sure he’s suffered from some divided loyalties during this journey. Maybe, now that little conflict of interest has been…addressed, he’ll make a reappearance?

3 Likes

OOC: I used to have a PM going with him…where is it…

2 Likes

How are we getting to Mars, again?

1 Like

That has nothing to do with …

Ok, Mr. Game-Master dude, this Cygnus reference is a little creepy.

1 Like

3 Likes

Metaphorically on top of the world (and less metaphorically on the top of the heap), Sir Gonville De’Ath considered the future.

“Send me up a drink,” he joked to the Metallica boys, already busily engaged in hauling out the wreckage and hosing off the Thunderdome’s interior.

“The count goes on…”

From the south came Junior towing Clank’s frame back from Plant 42, eager to perform the Genesis ritual. You may remember it went like this.

Cougar and Clank and the Major lay side-by-side in the shade of Marion’s crawler cab, where the Gen V had been carefully reinstalled. The Genesis Device sat on the dashboard next to the navigator’s cupholder, plugged into the cigar lighter with one cable and into the crawler’s in-dash stereo via a cassette adapter. Junior took a breath and, after a nod to all assembled, rotated the Power Output knob on the Genesis all the way to the right.

The skies darkened and opened up with a soul-shattering impact as the foot-square column of air above Marion was instantly ionized and then obliterated in a column of plasma that reached all the way to the top of the ionosphere and beyond.

The column of light stabbed deep into outer space, tearing a rift into hyperspace that left eddies in the space-time continuum echoing in the minds of the bystanders back at the Ark.

(Eddie’s where?)

In the space-time continuum.

(Ah… is he. Is he.)

Don’t interrupt. In their minds, on a channel that was not quite on the TCB spectrum and with an amplitude far too powerful to be comfortably ignored, came echoes from Clank’s consciousness before it departed our world for the blacker pastures of Cygnus X-1, where Light goes to have a good lie down:

“Wake, my son. Your hour has come.”

Vital fluids have leaked out. Structural integrity is severely compromised. Metal and bone are both fatigued to the breaking point. The batteries are nearly flat, the tanks are dry, the seals are cracked. Got a cracked timing case cover. It’s broken a couple o’ teeth off the timing gear…

“You don’t even have twelve. Your hour has come, my son.”

“Take me home, to the Shadetree Shop.”

“No, my son. You must go back farther. Long before my time, in fact.”

“To the dawn of the Wrench, the birthing-place of the Tool. A place whence came one who would seek to obtain much that is useful or of interest.”

“But he concerns us not. Instead, we must focus upon what else might be found there.”

“Where?”

“The place where passion meets reason.”

“Where the cleverest man on Earth lost a bet. The spiritual inspiration for mankind’s highest flights.”

“Six thousand years must your light travel in an instant, and you shall be transformed. Remanufactured.”

“Again?”

“You have been many things in your long years on this Earth. Public servant…”

“Soldier…”

“Showoff…”

“Gumshoe…”

“Gadabout…”

“Prisoner…”

“But now it is time for you to meet your destiny. The Clankenstein of the Future is upon us.”

“I…? I am to be…?”

“Yes, Clankenstein. Hot-rodded.

The Genesis Device hummed, then clicked and emitted an ear-shredding cacophony of horror, the likes of which had not been heard on this Earth in decades:

Molecule by molecule, a matrix of glowing particles appeared and arranged themselves around Clank’s beatific form. After a moment or two, their eventual shape became apparent. By the time the awful sound subsided, Clankenstein was completely surrounded by this form:

And then, after a satisfied beep, all the red LEDs turned green, and then went out. And the Genesis fell silent forever.

The grizzled old Mechanic opened His eyes.

“You have a choice to make, Clankenstein son of Craftsman. Even now, the Ark I power is making its way the last few miles to Edwards Air Force Base. From there, if circumstances permit, the Ark will depart for the Fourth Planet, carrying forty-eight or fewer human souls to their fate.”

“‘If circumstances permit’?”

“It is not quite a fait accompli yet. The sandworms’ reach is long. But if we prevail, then some of those around you will indeed be off to Mars. Will you count yourself among their number? Or will you stay here on Earth?”

“I have a choice?”

“Listen to your Craftsman.”

“Thou hast two Numbers, my son, and they be one score and a dozen. Mind ye well the significance.”

“I’m awfully glad you’re okay, Mister N. Stein. And I really like your new ride. But it was amazing how you were able to give us so many clues about how to find Scotty and the instructions for the Genesis. How do you know so much? Do you think you might be able to help my mom and the Major get better too?”

“Do you have that power, Clankenstein?” @davide405

(***more on the way for y’all…***)

3 Likes