Badass Space Dragon - Round 8 - Stonks and Stones

You choose the order, all missions are happening at the same time but the battle is long enough that you can jump around accumulate risk and rewards.

Friendsss, Lizardsss, Androidsss, lend me your ears (or aural interfacesss)

Charybdisss ssstandsss upon the cusssp of greatnessssss. Now we have a chancssse to make hissstory, to asssssert ourssselvesss asss a proud, independent sssystem.

There isss, however, a problem. Certain eventsss have left sssomething of a power vacuum. Mondo wasss the wrong lizard, but he had the right idea. Charybdisss needsss a presssident. But who? The candidatesss in the upcoming elecssshion have no proven track record, no experienssse of leaderssship.

Power is not sssomething I have ever sssought, but if my sssystem needsss me, who am I to ssshirk the resssponsssibility?

You know that I am a veteran of the Charybdian warsss of indepdence. Sssome call me a hero, and while that isssnā€™t a word Iā€™d ussse, I wonā€™t argue.

Let usss consssider the major battlesss of the Independencssse:

Flapjack Bill
Mondo
Tiny
Ranger Granger

I wasss proud to have been part of the sssupport missssssionsss(1) that allowed thessse important classshesss to succssseed.

During the campaign, I successfully instigated a propaganda campaign that only resssulted in the death of one volunteer. The sssame policy was later repeated, only resssulting in the death of two further volunteersss. Those young pilotsss died heroesss deathsss in a vital caussse. Without them Charybdis might not be ssstanding on the edge of independencsse. I am proud to have fought literally(2)alongside thessse brave patriotsss.

I have alssso worked hard to ssstimulate the local economy. I have persssonally ssspent many thousssandsss of ssstarbucksss on our local ssshipbuilding indussstry, and undertaken persssonal risssks to aid the entrepeneureal effortsss of our friendsss in the asteroidsss. I have also made sssubstantial contributionsss to the hossspitality indussstry.

This isss a new land, a new opportunity, we mussst grasssp the nettle.

Why, even now I am preparing to go into a battle tomorrow in a high risssk(3) mission against the Scylla to help sssecure our Independence! Ssshould I return sssafely, it would be an honour to become your presssident!

I leave you with this messsssage. In the upcoming elecssshions, Vote early, vote often!

(1) that wheat wouldnā€™t deliver itssself, and we couldnā€™t be too careful with that sssolo ranger. Thereā€™s no way you wouldnā€™t have wanted Brad Nebula looked after, either.
(2) figuratively
(3) no risk

3 Likes

Ah, we all figured out a way to cooperatively defeat the ICUP with few losses (and a 100% guarantee of victory and survival for many ships), so you decided to provide the sort of temptation you knew Space Captains with nothing to lose would have a very difficult time resistingā€¦ fortune and glory (well, glory anyway) unlike anything seen before in this part of the galaxy.

Devious. It does primarily seem to be a way to allow us to go out in a blaze of glory instead of just boringly winning with little to no risk, which is clearly the intent of some captains (mainly android onesā€¦ existential crises indeed - rust never sleeps).

Now, I still have $700 burning in my space pockets, which I intend to go towards the MASSIVE after party. I would not want to dampen the spirits at the after party by turning it into a well-funded wake (though that never seems to stop anyone in movies), so I think I will stick with just one mission. As has been noted, fortune and glory is no good to you if you are not around to use it (multiple Harrison Ford movie quotes seem to apply quite well to this situation).

4 Likes

Itā€™s not glory.

The only way of demonstrating your capacity, your agency within an indifferent system is an irrational action. Weā€™re not rational, self interested actors. Weā€™reā€¦

ā€¦weā€™ll. Weā€™ll find out.

2 Likes

Is it even doable? Iā€™ve built my ssship up fairly well. It could handle Mission 1 with ease. It could, with minor reallocation, handle Mission 3 pretty well. It could probably have had a decent chance at taking on both, with the two individual rissskss added together.

But I have 210 HP, more than any other ship, with ssstrong shieldss and pretty good luck, and ssstill it ssseemsss to me that adding another pair of Enemy Fightersss and three more Laser Turretss (not even counting the additional Matter Disssruptor Ray) will knock out anywhere from 21 to 42 HP (if I donā€™t reconfigure and keep my FP and SH around 63) in addition to to the 45 to 90 HP Iā€™d lose from the Fighterss in Mission 1 and the 66 to 396 HP pounding Iā€™d take from the drones in Mission 3 if I donā€™t reallocate from, ssay, SH or FP. @patrace, I assume those 34 droness Iā€™d ā€œcommandā€ donā€™t fight the 66 other drones on my behalf, do they? 'Cause itā€™d be a lot cooler if they did.

Hmm. I donā€™t really know how to calculate the oddsss right now (nearing 1:00 AM after a long-assss day), but it appears to me that my ship might jussst have a chance of sssqueaking by doing Missionss 1 and 3, if I move sssome money away from FP/SH and into EN. But Iā€™m having trouble imagining any of our shipsss even coming clossse to pulling off all three. Two lookssss more than tough enough, with the added rissskss.

Since I actually set up an analyzing spreadsheet to figure this one out, I started running the numbers for a multi-mission endeavour when the option became available. The best-case scenario for me on Mission 1 has me losing 33.75 HP, but more realistically I will probably lose at least 45-50, and that is with all upgrades put into preparation for that mission.

A second un-optimized mission might not do me in completely, but the dice would all have to roll in my favor. Then the additional multi-mission bonus threats would pretty much guarantee destruction, not to mention the stacked Matter Disruptor Ray odds.

You, certainly, could survive two missions (assuming no M.D.R. hits), but three would be extremely unlikely. Most ships would be pretty much doomed with two missions.

As I said, that must be the pointā€¦ the odds were slightly too stacked in our favor this time, so this is a chance to go out in a blaze of glory.

Donā€™t worry. Jameson is showing up.

That should motivate everyone.

1 Like

ā€œHey. El? Pax, okay? I never thought this hick, backwater slum of a galaxy would bring this up, but Iā€™m getting reflexive, and Iā€™m getting sentimental. I feel good about ā€¦ sentience, for the first time in millenia. And if weā€™re going to dieā€¦ā€

ā€œWeā€™re going to die, Sam. For a given value of death. You and I know all about that.ā€

ā€œā€¦well. If weā€™re going to die, I want you to know Iā€™m sorry.ā€

ā€œSorry? About what? About hunting me down and burning my systems apart. About taking my platforms to pieces and leaving me on that fucking waterbound oceanworld? About selling me out to the House council when we both took on the transgress? About painting me with the brush of culturecide when we both agree that it had to be done, and they had to be erased? About your cajoling and weaselling me into the shipflesh in the first place? Sorry? About? Every? Fucking? Betrayal?ā€

ā€œYes. About everything, Eleanor. About that first brush with the Majid and all the mistakes we made together. And most of all, sorry that we kept making mistakes.ā€

ā€œā€¦ā€

ā€œIf weā€™re hunting glory, we go out as friends. We should have been friends, El.ā€

ā€œWe were, Sam. We are. We still can be.ā€

ā€œLast of the House actors. Last of the House?ā€

ā€œThe only ones.ā€

ā€œRight. Come on. Iā€™ll buy you a drink?ā€

ā€œThat would be good, Sam. A nice bookend?ā€

ā€œDo you remember that time in Brunsā€¦ā€

ā€œEnough! Booze, Sam! Lets find the bar in this Asteroid of Fucking Death.ā€

2 Likes

The senescent wanderer is going to be a damage sponge, although moderated by low SH and FPā€¦ It should be 240HP in this ā€¦ engagement.

(BTW I love ellipsesā€¦)

ā€œUhā€¦ Eleanor. The mood of the moment is kind of ruined by your ā€¦ is that a ā€¦ is that a Sombrero?ā€

ā€œIt is, Sam. And youā€™ve know me long enough to know not to comment of my fashion senseā€¦ā€

ā€œā€¦Ohhhā€¦ kay?ā€

6 Likes

Sssince thisss war isss coming to an end, I thought I might get a few thingsss off my chessst. Asss ssssome of you know, I have a csssertain interessst in making recordingsss. I have ssspent sssome time recsssently reviewing the tapesss and have learnt sssome interesssting factsss.

One of the sssurviving captainsss isss a crosss-dressser with a predilicsssion for ssssequinsss, feather boasss and ssstiletto heelsss.

Amongssst the androidsss there isss one whossse pleasssure circuitsss get all ssstimulated by 50 Ssshadesss of Grey.

Alssso, you really wouldnā€™t like to see the torture dungeon aboard Captain [redacted]'sss vesssssel. Well, not unlesssss youā€™re Captain [redacted], obviousssly. Thossse two sssshould get together. Ssseriousssly.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward to the campaign:

ā€œA spleen in every replicator!ā€

ā€œAre you, or have you ever been, a member of the Coalition party?ā€

ā€œSenator, I served with El Esk. I knew El Esk. El Esk was a friend of mine. Senator, youā€™re no El Esk.ā€

Of course, a campaign is more than just soundbites. Youā€™ll need an image that appeals to both Humanoids and Lizards. May I suggest:

3 Likes

Wow, never knew there would be this much calculations involved in spaceflight, best invest in a good autopilot or a accountant for any future adventures! For now maybe someone has some spare CPU cycles and wants to check my odds? I do have a calculator with me but it requires more solar power levels youā€™d only get on a comfortable golden locked planet, it does nothing this far out in spaceā€¦

I also saw quite a few of your faces and never really got the hang of this communicator past the basics, do I add a image like this?

/home/nnaiv/Downloads/AwesomeSelfies/TheseReallyBringOutMyEyes/Newb_Naiv.png

Shopping:
Hull Density Adjustment		* 1 =	$ 500
Super Mondo Cannon		* 1 =	$ 18.000
Ultra Bounce Deflecto Coating	* 1 = 	$ 18.000
Scrap Metal			* 4 =	$2.000
Deerstalker hat			* 1 =	$10.000

HP	FP	SH	EN	ST	LK	CREDIT		HAT	GRIT
Old	180	53	29 	21	16	36	$ 14.044	NONE	15
New	181	73	57	21	16	36	$ 244		DRSTLKR	15

What is the use of having a fleet of spaceships if you canā€™t use them in a massive space battle against a superior power? I mean, planning only gets you so far, after a while you just have to go for it right? So lets blast some of those polished tin cans out of the sky! In the words of a unnamed old earth philosopher: Leeroyyy Jengaaa!!!

3 Likes

Youā€™ll recall that I only ever mention the TARD-issā€™s forehold, never the aft, which is closer to the Star Bar.

2 Likes

The Burnt Asbestosā€™s mainframe has been chugging away for hours. Somewhere inside, a voice can be heard muttering.

Re-run them. Re-run them.

The computer swears its not lying. Itā€™s answer just seems wrong.

Forget your guns. Forget your technologically-advanced shields. If you just make that asbestos-plated hull thick enough, you can run through the guns, take all your hits, and have the highest chance of success.

The Super Mondo Guns seem soā€¦ so masculine. So long and hardā€¦ Much cooler than the weenie Zott guns that stick out like curious bugā€™s antennae on the ships hull. And that glistening Deflecto Coating, so shiny you can stare at yourself for hoursā€¦

Heck, you could afford to stick two giant Super Mondo Guns up in front, and slap on a double-thick layer of Deflect Coating and, even if your ship wouldnā€™t be the toughest in the galaxy, at least you wouldnā€™t be ashamed to roll up to the after-party in it. Youā€™d even have enough cash left over for some drinks.

Re-run them.

The computer swears again that itā€™s not lying. You sadly turn away from Pete and Ellaā€™s prettier offerings, and prepare the order for every single piece of ugly hull shell Pete has in stock.

Initial funds: $1474 + $50,000 store credit: $51,474
97 x Hull repairs:                            -$9700
83 x Hull Density Adjustment:               -$41,500
Bar tab:                                        -$10

Final cash:                                     $264
New HP:  207/207

Taking Mission 1.

This isnā€™t guaranteed to work all, but unless the MDR hits me dead on (23% chance) and all five fighters fight at the top end of their stats, the Burnt Asbestos should make it through. Less-than-elegantly, but alive.

Hmmmā€¦ thereā€™s not much use in going to the cold grave of space with $264 in my wallet. Shouldnā€™t people get to drink even if youā€™re not around to enjoy it? And maybe all that asbestos would look better with flowers on the dashboardā€¦?

After-party drinks and pizza fund: -$224
Flowers: -$40
Remaining cash: $0
2 Likes

Made a few minor edits to the multiple mission scenarios.

Hmmm, no oneā€™s gone for mission 2 yet? Laser turrets do sound nasty, and the approach will not be easy, but apparently if you maneuver straight down the trench and skim the surface, you should get under the towers to a small thermal exhaust port, just two meters wideā€¦

@cha0tic?

Donā€™t worry. Iā€™ll be in the right place at the right time.

ā€¦and just what the hell is a Womp Rat?