Baffling 1941 newspaper comic strip: "The Evening Argument"

How old are you guys? These just sound like the sorts of things my grandparents would have said. Maybe the generational distance is too great to allow comprehension for you young whippersnappers? :slight_smile: As several others have pointed out, these are heavily laden with sarcasm, and you are supposed to laugh. The only reason they no longer seem funny is because the social norms they are lampooning are no longer accepted, so the younger reader simply doesn’t get the joke.

4 Likes

Huh. Google tells me that Aunt Het has a fall festival: http://fountaininnchamber.org/web/events/annual-aunt-het-fall-festival

And is actually pretty funny/insightful:

12 Likes

Women are from Venus and men are from Mars Hill (you Seattleites will get it).

Also, everyone born after 1984 has a lousy sense of humor.

3 Likes

Come now, surely not everyone!

1984 did open a lot of eyes to the serious problems associated with the concept of freedom relative to the machinations of a global elite.

Oh you meant the year.

3 Likes

1984 was about 1948.

My grandma would understand, my mum too if I translated all this in Italian, and I laughed to all of the strips. Maybe because I would have a use of some other wife working in the house hahahahah!

Thanks for introducing me to the work of Robert Quillen!

1 Like

Shit, just missed the cut.

Quite right, and 1948 makes more sense as a cut off date for a really good sense of humor.

Citation: Betty White.

1 Like

Nicely sarcastic. This is marvelous 1940s trolling, guaranteed to incense both sides of an argument.

1 Like

Older humor, you just need their perspective to make the most of it…

1 Like

Nicely put.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.