Bag made with "ethically sourced" human child's spine

Is that a phrase? I mean, sure, it’s technically a phrase.

1 Like

Don’t most countries have restrictions on what can be legally done to human remains? I’m pretty sure this would be outside the accepted limits.

ok, weird related story. A while back I was at a sort curio/natural-history type store that had lots of fossils, bugs, snake skeletons you know, almost like you might find in a museum gift shop but a little more esoteric. Noticed some authentic straight-up human skulls in the glass cabinet by the register. Asked the young lady behind the counter, “hey, so uh… what’s up with the human skulls?” (as one does?), she’s casually all like “… oh yeah, we get those from China - they’re really old…”, I look back down at them, and then back to her, "…really? they don’t look really old!? ", she peers at them for a moment then (with a look of dawning realization) back to me, “… huh… no, you’re right. They don’t look really old … do they …”.

Kinda crazy, not so much that such a thing could exist, but that apparently there is essentially nothing preventing shops selling human remains openly in a bougie shopping district in a college town in the U.S. The thought of the likely actual provenance is super disturbing.

10 Likes

“Might be, kind of — I mean, I didn’t use the whole thing!”

1 Like

So in the entire process of making… that, no one asked the obvious question?

15 Likes

At last, the perfect tote for my copy of “The Atrocity Archives”!

3 Likes

I’ve seen some pretty dark shit but this is quite possibly the most evil thing I’ve ever seen done in capitalism.

This man is selling children’s spines as a bag.

How is this fucking legal? If it is legal, why in the name of everything good and decent in this world is it?

This is fucking inhuman. I don’t even believe in god but fucks sake, let the kid rest in peace. This is sickness of the highest order, and disgusts me, and I used to collect animal skulls and do collect medical bone saws.

5 Likes

Fake it, make it a bit nicer, more aesthetically pleasing and it would make a great halloween piece.

3 Likes

It is worth emphasising the dead part before letting medical science have it.

Or donate it to auto-iconism like Jeremy Bentham

Mine is being donated to comedy

2 Likes

“The spines aren’t the problem sir, it’s the alligator tongue that takes the time to source”

1 Like

Good call. Dead. Yes. :wink:

Though TBH medical science has had a pretty good crack at my body already, while I’m still using it. (Three or four different medical research/trials over the years, linked to a chronic condition I now live more or less happily with.)

Or there’s this guy:

But I gather he is now inactive and suffering with Parkinson’s, so I’ve missed my chance there.
He wants his wife to plastinate him once he’s gone:

2 Likes

ISTR a few were made by soldiers after the Sand Creek Massacre. Might still be floating around an attic somewhere.

Body brokers’ sources generally are people too poor to afford funerals, including their children’s. That said, I plan to donate, for that reason and because I plan to make the fuckers who paid me the lowest possible wages in this life, pay dearly for the spare parts in my economic reincarnation.

A funeral home owner in TN was rumored to have a human skin purse back in the sixties. Some people are pseudo-tolerant in their professional lives but pure Nazi in their souls.

The Royal Academy has plaster casts of flensed criminals who were executed, skinned and then arranged for the anatomy classes – not pleasant, but informative. Maybe you could leave your body to art.

1 Like

“Darling, I have to ask, who are you wearing?”

7 Likes

Don’t most fashion designers come pre-tanned?

3 Likes

I can honestly say I never knew we had that phrase.

7 Likes

Because it has never occurred to anybody that we could possibly need a law against making fashion accessories out of dead children.

3 Likes

You do now. You’re welcome, cobber.

5 Likes

No. they were able to get it for a song from a museum.