Baggage handler gives zero f*cks

… and Continental used to be okay before they got acquired by United.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity(and because my off-the-cuff suspicion would be that this might have a strong influence on the average care in handling); how do the odds of receiving retribution or reward based on one’s degree of care and precision in bag handling compare to the odds of the same for falling behind or pulling ahead of expectations for quantity moved per unit time?

1 Like

That’s really interesting… There seem to be a lot of unintended negative consequences from the airlines charging for checked bags… I have no data, but I do wonder if all this time wasted on gate-checking and finding open overhead storage has impacted departure times? I know it’s made the boarding process a lot less fun. It’s almost like it would be better if each ticket cost marginally more and checking luggage was free.

4 Likes

From what I remember (20 years ago) ground crew were notified and held accountable for bags the missed their connection but I don’t recall ever seeing weekly reports of damaged bags. Probably too many variables (user packing issue vs rough handling by employee, etc). It should be tracked though. If one particular crew has more damaged bags that would point to an issue.

4 Likes

Yes, I do.

edit: maybe she is just testing the bags for bombs.

A cello salesman from New Zealand once showed us a cello case which he had flown to Melbourne with a boot print on it.

3 Likes

Yeah, which is why this is even worse behavior than norma baggage abuse. This is all the stuff people brought on board with them, typically stuff too breakable or expensive to check and/or not packed to survive being checked. :-0

12 Likes

I used to work restoring double basses at a very well known shop in a big city. Somewhat regularly instruments would come in in hard cases that appeared to have fork lifts tongs driven through the case. I don’t even know where the airlines got a forklift, perhaps they rented on just to destroy instruments.

It was also not uncommon for a customer to bring an entire double bass to the shop in garbage bags after an air trip.

Sad really. Art is cool. We should make sure people are able to make it.

13 Likes

I saw something like this happen at SFO a few years ago, but it was raining and the baggage handler didn’t want to go outside in the rain. He was chucking them down the stairs from the doorway instead of using the slide.

This is when I decided to get the Pelican rolling luggage.

1 Like

16 Likes

Luckily I store my Faberge Eggs in my carry-on bag when I travel.

3 Likes

I’m seeing more and more restrictions on “smart” luggage that just might rat out those kind of abuses…odd isn’t it.

4 Likes

Wow! Really! Can’t she at least have a little passion while doing her job, at her job, for her job. Shoot lady, if you dislike your job find another job. At least consider that’s somebody else’s belongings that are in your hands.

2 Likes

Like what? That you can’t have a phone in your luggage recording the G forces with an accelerometer? I wonder how many G’s would be considered abusive?

This looks a lot to me like classic bullying behavior. “My life sucks, so why not fuck up someone else’s life? Especially since it’s likely that I can get away with it?”

8 Likes

thinks a moment
Why yes. Yes, I do.

8 Likes

Well, you could use those non-electronic g-sensors that Mythbusters use to use, ones that are designed specifically for measuring the G-forces applied to cargo in transit.

1 Like

I watched out the window at a baggage handler working extra hard at his job. He’s transfer bags from the trolley to a waist-high conveyor belt. The trolley shelves were at or higher than the conveyor belt, so dude could have made the transfer easy.

Nope. He was working as hard as he could to raise each bag as high as possible and then drop it on the conveyor.

I don’t like to think bad things about people I don’t know. So I just figure he can’t afford gym membership but needs to work out.

Toronto’s YYZ, if it matters. Probably happens everywhere.

4 Likes

But what if there’s a freak blizzard? What then?

3 Likes

Still better than United treats their passengers.

3 Likes