Baggage handler gives zero f*cks

Huh. Now I know.

4 Likes

Now that you say it, I remember seeing the story of a violinist whose extremely expensive violin was almost destroyed by luggage handling at the airport. Or was it customs. In any case some of the butterfingers at the airport did a good job at transforming an immeasurably valuable object into a model kit.

1 Like

Checking in at SIA in Changi I had this model airplane in a box. Pretty solid I would think. Its just foam inside but the check in agent nearly freaked out, smothering the box with fragile stickers on all six sides. I thought it was a bit extreme at the time but it makes more sense now.

2 Likes

Hey author, how about what airline was that, so that this can get reported to them?

1 Like

Remember “United Breaks Guitars”

Also, the fewer passengers who carry on luggage, the faster everyone gets into and out of the aluminum rhino-virus-culture tube.

It costs money to fly. Don’t make it worse for yourself and everyone else by trying to wrangle everything you own on board.

Ah! Don’t give them any ideas!!! :-0

I recently booked a flight on Norwegian Air & found out that their baggage & check-in were handled by a company called Aviation Port Services, both in Oakland & NY. I suspect this company has zero care about the airline’s reputation, or any retribution/reward for damage. After a lot of discussion about carrying on a musical instrument (I even went out to the airport to discuss with APS staff ahead of time), I decided to skip the flight & absorb the cost, rather than risk having to check it. I imagine the dialogue something like this…Me: “I’ll never fly Norwegian again.” APS: “So what?”

4 Likes

Based on the glassdoor and indeed reviews I would share your caution about entrusting them with anything delicate or valuable.

Farming it out to a contractor who apparently can’t be bothered to avoid bouncing the human resources’ meager paychecks is definitely a deep commitment to quality move. And, short of ultimately vacuous exhortations to Duty and Professionalism, not a situation that gives the people moving the bags much reason to care.

3 Likes

Apparently it’s not just Norwegian Air. Looks like the handler gets a contract for the whole airport.
From http://www.nordstjernan.com/news/people/4799/
"Since it began, the company has grown to over 500 employees and 12 locations of operation. Aviation Port Services handles the world’s aircrafts, passengers and cargo.
“The airlines they serve and services they offer differ at each airport. Currently, their biggest operation is in Oakland handling aircraft grooming, cargo, ground security, lav/water service, ramp handling, pax/baggage screening, special needs and representation. Among their clients are names such as AeroMexico, ArkeFly, SATA, Virgin, Air Asia and Volaris.”

2 Likes

my next assignment will be handbags at dawn

Our high school orchestra flew to NY back in '94, and 3 of our 6 basses were destroyed in transit.

What a bizarro world where someone’s job is to handle baggage, and they claim zero responsibility for damage to that baggage that they obviously caused.

2 Likes

You’re saying that a world in which most people take responsibility for the impacts of their behavior, is the normal one?

Do you go outside much?

5 Likes

To avoid the nightmare of negligent baggage handlers, as well as the long list of other indignities associated with modern air travel, not to mention lowering my carbon footprint, I haven’t seen the inside of an airplane since 2009.

1 Like

I go outside enough to know that it’s a bizarro world.

4 Likes

You seemed surprised is all.

3 Likes

Does anyone know how that chute should be properly used?

1 Like

Idea for suitcase feature: multiple cameras to capture the baggage handler responsible along with an accelerometer and event data logging. Hold those bozos accountable.

Funnier and cheaper alternative: Small impact-resistant device you put into your suitcase which detects impacts and generates verbal criticism when dropped like “Ouch!” or “What the hell?!”

1 Like

Plus things like strollers and wheelchairs that their user needs until the last moment before boarding.

I have a friend whose wheelchair was rendered unusable by baggage handlers.

3 Likes