Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh's 'Healthy Holly' book sales now under state investigation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/02/baltimore-mayor-catherine-pugh.html

5 Likes

Holly’s Healthy Bank Account.

17 Likes

That’s a lot of cabbage.

9 Likes

Don’t forget, she was mayor when we found out about this

and this

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/baltimore-police-officers-toy-guns/

and

7 Likes

Oh come on. Trump is president. This is small time.

5 Likes

That’s my mayor! Well, mayor on indefinite leave of absence…

In an article in The Baltimore Sun today they noted she made 1000 times more money from this, than our last corrupt mayor did stealing gift cards for poor people. So this is not that small a deal.

5 Likes

Well, yes, but Dixon only got caught on the gift cards. The original bill of charges in terms of graft and bribery were as long as your arm on Dixon, but they gradually winnowed it down until the only thing they couldn’t get rid of were those nagging gift cards. And that’s how they convicted her.

As for Pugh, the whole thing is so horribly blatant. I’ll try to summon some outrage when she gets off the hook, but I’ve seen this show before (as a resident of Baltimore), and the ending will surprise no one.

6 Likes

Man, the wire’s scriptwriters are really reaching this series aren’t they?

11 Likes

I’m kind of thinking a resignation is imminent, or at least this “indefinite leave” becoming permanent. Young seems to be acting like he’s going to be acting mayor up through the next election. Which is fine by me.

1 Like

Statement on Mayor Catherine Pugh taking leave of absence…cites “deteriorating” health

Guess she didn’t read her own books. (Or write them?)

2 Likes

I suppose if they were good books, they wouldn’t need to be self-published. On the other hand, if they supported anti-vax or homeopathy or some other obvious scam, there would probably be even louder screams of outrage.

The really depressing part:

Young, an East Baltimore native, said he will still be paid as council president ($119,000), not as mayor ($185,000), and will remain in the council president’s offices.

People shouldn’t notice any difference,” the Democrat said. “I am looking forward to having a meeting with all of the department heads to talk to them."

Source:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-who-is-jack-young-20190401-story.html

1 Like

So she gets a pass?

2 Likes

The executives at Kaiser Permanente and Blue Cross are also facing serious repercussions, the ones who gave the ok’s for agreeing to buying the books have been forced to resign and are looking at serious time and the companies are looking at fines and oversight for bribing a public official and corruption charges. Kidding, they all exchanged high fives, nothing happens to them, except they may have a little extra work figuring out who to bribe next.

4 Likes

Good old Bmore…

4 Likes

So you mean just the same story as the Federal bribe-takers under the Trump administration, who I seriously doubt are going to have to answer for their being “on the take.”

But then again these days, a $200K “speaking fee” is legal, and not seen as a bribe. Which I submit it is, blatantly. So many public-servants/industry lobbyists on the take these days.

3 Likes

Charm City! And while homicide might be close to a high these days, at least the community is FIT, thanks to Healthy Holly books which apparently can be found just about everywhere!

edit: Us living members of the community, anyway.

2 Likes

Like my opinion matters? Then yea, I have a limited amount of outrage to go around.

The crazy thing about Baltimore is that I moved away after a guy got murdered where I park my car 2 years ago and I just moved back this week because I missed it so much. And I actually do love it there. A ton. In spite of continual sadness and stuff like this. Such a weird weird place.

3 Likes

Sheeeeeeeiiit. Selling books? Why didn’t I think of that
–State Rep Clay Davis.

Seriously, Md has a long history of Corruption.

3 Likes