Baltimore police respond to report they secretly spied on city with aerial surveillance tech from Iraq War

Yes, same company, same technology.

It was on both podcasts: http://www.radiolab.org/story/eye-sky/

1 Like

Well at least they’re not forcing anyone to ride around in the back of the drone.

2 Likes

Call in the national guard and detain the Baltimore police department. They are waging war against American citizen. We can figure out what to do with them on day 2.

1 Like

“This is a giant leap into a real Big Brother future.”

…Or, as we call it in London, “Tuesday.”

9 Likes

good point. ( isnt that the premise of robo-cop? )

i’d be really interested to know if the company also has access to the data.

2 Likes

[quote=“JonS, post:18, topic:84086”]
[snark]
[/quote] Technically, that could just be failure of imagination.
[/snark]

But I bet you’re right.

1 Like

At least the ED209 allowed us 20 seconds to comply.

3 Likes

“… the funding came from a private donor”.

Whoa! How does that work, exactly – privatized funding of governance?

3 Likes

The harder these fools look at crime, and the sharper their pictures become, somehow the less they actually see about the fucking misery they’ve wrought, and all the good that could be done to heal these places.

2 Likes

Yeah, all you liberal fools thought your “What if schools had all the funding they needed, and the military had to hold a bake sale to buy bombs” bumper stickers were pretty clever. Not so clever anymore, huh?! /s

1 Like

It seems as though police forces are constantly looking for ways to distance themselves (quite literally) from actually interacting with the people they police. What if they had spent the budget for constant aerial surveillance on putting more feet on the street? Why are we constantly eliminating the idea of a casual neighborhood foot patrol?

2 Likes
The arrangement was kept secret in part because it never appeared before the city's spending board, paid for instead through private donations handled by the nonprofit Baltimore Community Foundation.
Jeebus fucken christ up a tree, SRB. A program paid for by anonymous donor, funds secretly routed through a "community service" group, and one which you're, apparently, not aware of...it's all good, though. Maybe just don't hire some random Nazi to investigate this, yeah?
1 Like

Isn’t there some sort of prohibition on surveilling, collecting, and holding evidence of people not suspected or accused of a crime or are we now in full Stazi mode?

3 Likes

The key phrase being “without oversight”.

According to Ross McNutt the founder, the data is low resolution, and is kept for 45 days and accessed by the company only in an investigation. Is there an expectation of privacy when walking or driving in a public place?

There’s the stingray which snoops on smartphones, cameras and license plate readers everywhere and while they may be an invasion of privacy you know I can think of at least one case where the single lead for the murder of a child in Ontario came from a grainy surveillance video.

I can see the implications, and yet if a child is kidnapped and you could potentially use a system like this to save that child?
The thing is you can have surveillance without the technology - I spent my childhood in Communist country where friends and neighbours, even family could report you. The vigilance we need is against ending up with a crappy government.

1 Like

It was originally a military project “Angelfire” to find out who was behind IED’s in Afghanistan.
Radiolab did a podcast on it.

1 Like

Drink.

1 Like

These cameras are sure to capture all the shady deals going on inside all those official-looking buildings!

2 Likes

More and more of this stuff is being “provided” by private companies, who are set up to make handsome profits from its use. All at the expense of the public - probably in more ways than one.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.