Bambi will be "vicious killing machine" in new horror movie after original book enters public domain

That’s not as far from the original source material as you might imagine.

The original text of “Bambi” by Felix Salten is gruesome, full of maimed and slaughtered animals, and even a murdered hunter. I had a recollection – from reading it as a child – that Bambi himself even eventually gets his revenge on a hunter by sabotaging his unattended gun, but I can’t find any mention of that in the text summaries I’ve found, so I must be mixing it up with something else. The point stands, though: deer are scary. Don’t trust the skittish little bastards. They’re only pretending to be scared so that they can lure you deeper into the woods. (*), (**)

Salten was also the author of “Josefine Mutzenbacher”, a heart-warming little tale of child prostitution. I’m a little surprised that Disney hasn’t yet seen fit to make a movie out of that, the way that they did to Salten’s “Bambi” and “The Hound of Florence” (turned into “The Shaggy Dog” by Disney). Can’t think why not.

(*) Deer have been filmed eating baby birds and, most recently, human remains.

(**) The scariest deer in literature, incidentally, is not Bambi but the demon deer in Margaret Killjoy’s “The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion.” If there are more frightening deer out there, I don’t want to know about them.

10 Likes