Bambi will be "vicious killing machine" in new horror movie after original book enters public domain

Originally published at: Bambi will be "vicious killing machine" in new horror movie after original book enters public domain | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Don’t worry, Godzilla will save us.

17 Likes

Maybe this time he’ll beat Godzilla.

[Jinx @stinkinbadgers]

23 Likes
10 Likes

The animals in Bambi talk and have big cute eyes but I’m not sure if that alone makes them anthropomorphic. That’s one Disney movie where the animators actually put in some effort to make them reasonably animal-like, going so far as to bring deer into the studio.

I wonder if the horror version will actually have a deer-like animal as the protagonist or just have a guy in a cheap cheesy Halloween mask like the Pooh film.

10 Likes

Bambi is already a murderbeast. Grazing merrily on innocent baby birds.

10 Likes

That’s not as far from the original source material as you might imagine.

The original text of “Bambi” by Felix Salten is gruesome, full of maimed and slaughtered animals, and even a murdered hunter. I had a recollection – from reading it as a child – that Bambi himself even eventually gets his revenge on a hunter by sabotaging his unattended gun, but I can’t find any mention of that in the text summaries I’ve found, so I must be mixing it up with something else. The point stands, though: deer are scary. Don’t trust the skittish little bastards. They’re only pretending to be scared so that they can lure you deeper into the woods. (*), (**)

Salten was also the author of “Josefine Mutzenbacher”, a heart-warming little tale of child prostitution. I’m a little surprised that Disney hasn’t yet seen fit to make a movie out of that, the way that they did to Salten’s “Bambi” and “The Hound of Florence” (turned into “The Shaggy Dog” by Disney). Can’t think why not.

(*) Deer have been filmed eating baby birds and, most recently, human remains.

(**) The scariest deer in literature, incidentally, is not Bambi but the demon deer in Margaret Killjoy’s “The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion.” If there are more frightening deer out there, I don’t want to know about them.

10 Likes

10 Likes

An early cover to Bambi: Eine Lebensgeschichte aus dem Walde (1928)

Where did you find this? I would love to see an old Bambi book cover with Franz Marc’s painting on it but I can’t find any evidence of such a thing

3 Likes
6 Likes

Noice.
I can’t remember where this next quote is from, but it’s one of my favourites:
“Never anthropomorphise animals. They hate that.”

9 Likes

Weird fact: The original English translation of Salten’s book was written by none other than Whittaker Chambers, a former Communist (and GRU spy) perhaps better known for his later years as an anticommunist after breaking with the Party in 1938.

4 Likes

I am both WTF and Wow at that.

5 Likes

snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

The legendary “Rope-a-deer” story has been circulating for many a year. (Not actually very long.)

2 Likes

Years ago our daughter hit a deer, it did not go well for her car or the deer. For a while she would get notes from Bambi left on her windshield asking if she’d seen her mommy. Surprisingly it wasn’t from me but from her equally demented freinds. Hopefully Bambi doesn’t remember the accident.

Mona Lisa Vito could be Bambi’s vengeful side kick.

4 Likes

Deer can be vicious. We had a three-legged doe in the neighborhood for a few years. I passed on hunting her during the season because it seemed, on the whole, just too pathetic to kill such a determined creature. She raised at least six fawns over four years, and she was very protective of them – when a fox got a bit too curious about the two tiny trembling bundles of bone and fur I saw their three legged mom kick that fox across the yard, then run up to it and stomp it into the ground repeatedly using her sole foreleg. When I picked up the corpse later, it clearly had broken bones, multiple lacerations, and was basically one big contusion from all the pummeling. Sadly, last year she got hit by a vehicle and was found by the side of the road.

3 Likes

So here we have a chance to utilize source material previously locked down by copyright law and all they can think of is schlocky horror movies. We took the fight to Disney for this?!

2 Likes

This reminds me of an old (and weird) flash animation, and this is a great excuse to drag it out of the vault

3 Likes

You really want to make “Bambi” into a horror story?

Bambi kills his mother. A retelling of “Psycho.”

1 Like