Bananas canceled

I haven’t seen a red banana since I was 9 years old, and I still remember them fondly.

4 Likes

Once in a very great while our local grocery gets them, but charges 2-3X as much. :sob:

Everything was of course ridiculously cheap at the St Ann’s Bay market, exchange rates notwithstanding.

4 Likes

He’s spreading awareness, which is a good thing. :+1:

shooting star GIF

8 Likes

red 'nanners are common down here in farmer’s markets and even Publix. they are honey-sweet and (mostly) locally grown. Homestead is a very big farming area at the end of the mainland, in the rich flood flats of the Everglades. they don’t travel well, sorry, y’all.
personal aside: the bananas in my yard are a Jamaican variety, @MerelyGifted , this is our first harvest as I have posted in another thread. they are known as “ice cream bananas”. will keep us all posted on the outcome (as goes for all my neighbors, who will be receiving bunches when they ripen)

12 Likes

At this point, I think it would be easier to list the products/industries which aren’t exploitative.

5 Likes

Shatner? Is that you?

5 Likes

I put the obvious cuts, as linebreaks because that’s how, they hit my ears, but maybe it would be better to portray, the Youtube style, like this, As a long run-on sentence, punctuated by weird pauses, but otherwise without noticeable variation in, tone or rhythm; sort of like a twenty minute guitar solo, made up of two or three bar snatches, stitched together, with all the “wait, wait, I got this” bits edited out.

3 Likes

Fantastic! @ all of that tophat-biggrin Bet yr nanner tree has gorgeous flowers, too. It’s not easy to get atypical tropical fruit around here…maybe at Whole Paycheck, as my waggish BF calls Whole Foods.

I’ll hafta ask him to keep an eye out for exotic nanners & buy some regardless re: price.

matzahball

official-sovietunion

detriotrockcity313

7 Likes

welcome to capitalism?

3 Likes

bana … … na?

6 Likes

Re: matzahball

You have to be careful with your bananas around some cats. One of my mom’s cats is a banana-biter, and she’ll spoil your bunch faster than you can say “scat”!

She never eats them. She simply bites them.

10 Likes

I can just imagine trying to explain “Iran/Contra” to anybody under 40

10 Likes

“Once upon a time…there was an asshole film star…”

7 Likes

I’m with @FloridaManJefe on this. I grow two varieties in South LA. Not the ice cream, I wish! Once you get this bug you start spotting them and really there are many types grown here. Yesterday evening I spotted fruiting trees growing above the fence of an apartment complex off of Jefferson/Sepulveda. I can’t recommend enough getting your hands on some non-cavendish variety of banana. There are variations in tartness, sweetness and acidity not to mention the much much longer shelf life / phases of ripeness. A dark black peel may contain a perfectly ripe banana with no bruising or discoloration… for weeks.

Having grown them for over a decade, I can say the real work is cutting down the mat and ridding it of the excessive pups.

Given that California could potentially take over the banana market (well, we don’t have the water but that’s never stopped us), that point about the disease should be taken seriously by our ag inspectors and they should start testing soils/cores and building relationships with urban banana growers.

Fun fact since and RIP: people in Central America protested against Bob Dole, believing him to be part of the fruit family dynasty.

7 Likes

Tell them to watch the cartoon series “Archer” as it is explained quite well in that.
They might not believe that it was real though.

4 Likes

I had a cat that did that with carrots. He’d also rub them all over his face, catnip-style. Strange beast.

1 Like

I remember it took a few goes for me to believe it, back when the news was fresh.

2 Likes

With the benefit of hindsight Reagan seems more like a cartoon villain than a president.

4 Likes

I grew up in northern Canada during the cold war, in a town that hosted a radar base to detect Soviet missiles coming over the North Pole. It was widely understood that if that radar base was ever needed, there was an excellent chance it would be because of something stupid Reagan did.

Point is, there was never a time for us he didn’t look like a cartoon villain.

4 Likes

There’s a very weird, freeform song on Iggy Pop’s 1982 LP Zombie Birdhouse,* Watching the News. It contains the line, “The president today announced that he’s pushing all the buttons in a giggling fit.”

*A criminally overlooked album

2 Likes