Bank employee tricked customers into giving him their phones so he could steal nude photos, says Texas prosecutor

Originally published at: Bank employee tricked customers into giving him their phones so he could steal nude photos, says Texas prosecutor | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Goodness knows it’s difficult to find naked pictures of people on the internet, if that’s what you desire… /s

No no I get it, this is about exercise of power over victims and not specifically about gaining access to naked pictures. Blech what a creep.

I’ve been getting into yoga bit more somewhat recently, and just learned last night actually that a few of the really good books on the subject (including a few I have on order from Amazon) come from a guru (Satyananda Saraswati, now deceased) who was almost certainly a sex criminal and potentially even a pedophile. I could barely sleep last night.

One of those “what the fuck is wrong with humanity” days… sigh (Note, any day can quickly become such a day, if you, say, read the news, or bb…)

10 Likes

It’s a small world after-all?

4 Likes

iPhone/Android developers: Please create an app that senses a nude photo about to be taken, then audibly asks, “Do you really, really need to do this?”

5 Likes

Yes, people want to take them and it is none of the developers’ business.

1 Like

So I guess an app that the user can disable if they please is out of the question?

2 Likes

It seems like a silly app to create. Anyone who would seek it out knows whether they want to take a nude picture or not. It really isn’t a common oops problem.

1 Like

I wonder what Ramirez’s two victims would say to all this.

2 Likes

I have a few words for you. Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol.

2 Likes

At the time they were taking the pictures, not much. They apparently wanted to take them. You can’t develop a system that allows you to take the pictures you do want to take, while stopping you from taking them if something later will make you regret it. Putting the tech barrier at the photo end of the process only works if you assume that taking nude photos is somehow wrong or to be avoided. I feel like the barrier needs to be at the release and privacy side, something like better segmentation controls that allow for you to grant phone and web access without getting all of your photos in the process.

Alcohol that would make you take the photo is just as likely to make you click yes on any dialogue that came up.

2 Likes

“At the time…” (?)

I’m not sure how my question could be… misinterpreted.

It sounds like we’re victim shaming here. Are we victim shaming? Because, you know, neither of the women actually did anything wrong, even though your values don’t align with theirs.

2 Likes

It totally sucks to have someone you admire or read turn out to be much less than you hoped, but I’m guessing you know it’s not about yoga, it’s about a large number of people turning out to be assholes when they have power over other people. Happens in every human endeavor. A lot of folks have less pain/stress because of yoga, and that’s a good thing. A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Yoga for Low Back P... : The Clinical Journal of Pain

The fact that you know the story is sort of like why it’s a good thing when you see an improperly disposed condom on a sidewalk. When you see that, it means steps are being taken to make less of the kinds of people who dispose of a condom on a sidewalk. Sorry to make light of a bad time. Hopefully, our knowing the stories of the predators means the would-be predators of the next generations won’t be protected by silence.

2 Likes

I have an issue with such an app, but not because I think it will cause less nude photos to be taken. Rather the opposite.

Malicious apps are a problem on every platform. They happen a few ways:

1. Cloned apps purporting to be the same (or similar app), more of a problem for less regulated app stores (even on the Apple app store they sneak through occasionally)
  2. Legit apps hijacked by their ad frameworks (watch those permissions!). This bites iPhone apps too.
  3. An original app with dormant or hidden malicious code. These sneak through on all app stores.

Such an app becoming popular probably will not prevent that many nude photos being taken (it’s a rare event, and as pointed out - lots of people are actually so motivated).

But the sky’s the limit for the damage which can be done once the idea of such a failsafe nude selfie app is in the wild, and lots of malicious variants of it which may start covertly taking photos whenever.

As to your next question, No, I am not fun at parties.

I don’t “rate” people by how fun they are at parties.

I can’t believe people still don’t believe sexual addiction is a thing. So much risk and exposure for such an abstract thrill.

Yeah, but I wouldn’t want to paint it…

(Credit goes to Stephen Wright for that little gem)

2 Likes

It’s not difficult to put such photos into a separate folder of file with extra security, at least in iOS; I can’t speak for Android, but I guess the same applies.
Certainly if I was taking, or had taken photos of someone close that were of a private nature, there are plenty of ways to keep them private.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.