Banksy mural stolen from Bataclan in Paris

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/28/banksy-mural-stolen-from-batac.html

We can only speculate as to why, but it seems this was a contract theft for some rich asshole. Someone who enjoys having things only he* can look at. A real sociopath, to whom the outrage involved only makes the theft sweeter. He may not even care to have it displayed, as simply being the only one who knows where it is may give him pleasure.

*I am 99% sure of gender, since this sort of theft reeks of machismo.

13 Likes

I want to know, “Where was John Galt during this robbery?” It reeks of libertarian, alphaholeism.

9 Likes

errr, it was Eagles of Death Metal concert not a Queens of the Stone Age concert…

13 Likes

This is very sad. All of it.

Came here to say this.

To be fair the two groups are related, Josh Homme, the lead of Queens of the Stone Age, is the drummer of the Eagles of Death metal. Even if he never performs with them. :thinking:

4 Likes

I can’t wait to find out Banksy himself did it.

5 Likes

This raises two questions, I think.

1. Is it technically a mural, as it was painted on a door?
  2. Was said door shredded?

maybe millionaire artist banksy should just stop giving wealthy landowners free 1000s/millions of dollars by painting trite instagram-bait on their properties

1 Like

Only if it says “Steal this Mural” in bold.

3 Likes

Actual footage from the heist

15 Likes

It’ll come out that the shredder was planted in the mural the whole time, and the thieves were all Banksy.

1 Like

The movies make art heists sound so much more romantic.

1 Like

Sorry, lots overlap between the bands led to my error.

1 Like

I was going to say… was this like the Bearinstein bears?

“I think it’s a Banksy.”

Yeah, it’s not like it has any salable value on a legitimate market. And it’s not like jewelry that can be broken apart and sold some other way.

Battery powered angle grinders have made all kinds of property crimes much easier.

1 Like

So, definitely shredded, then.

1 Like

Or worse, painting on structures belonging to those who cant afford to guard them.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.