'Bar Lives Matter' concert promoted by Texas bar owner to protest coronavirus restrictions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/30/bar-lives-matter-concert-p.html

1 Like

There’s a very good reason to close bars as an infection control measure during an epidemic - people go to bars to drink and party. The first thing to disappear when you drink is judgement, therefore you won’t be careful about infection control. Drinkers speak loudly and shout, get up close and personal with others and generally become effective disease vectors.
So - close the bars and keep them closed until this is under control!

39 Likes

So, getting drunk at a bar > saving human lives. The people of Texas seem to have their priorities straight.

19 Likes

People realize you can drink at home, right? Or am I the only one to crack that code?

40 Likes

I’m drinking at home right now!

31 Likes

Sure you are, buddy.

8 Likes

My day drinking has gone up 500% since COVID 19. It’s relaxing.

15 Likes

Bar owners need to shut up and go home. We in Texas are in seriously deep shit. Houston, which has one the highest hospital capacities in the US is almost full up.

30 Likes

16 Likes

I won’t even click on the link. Fuck Fox News and their fascist opinion shills.

14 Likes

No doubt. But the op-ed was originally on WSJ … I’m trying to link to the entire op-ed in readable format without having to pay.

But, yes indeed. Fuck them.

7 Likes

I’d be fine if bars were open only to regulars. I’ve dealt with enough people at them to know there is a certain crowd where the bar is 100% of their social interaction. I’m only a weekly visitor, I don’t treat the bar like it’s my living room.

3 Likes

As much as I would donate a free ISS visit to flat-earthers, should anyone set up a crowdfunding to pay those idiots a free trip to the mass graves dug to contain covid-19 victims, I would happily donate some quid in the name of science, evolution, war against stupidity, etc. just name one.

7 Likes

So… worried about their jobs, they’re demanding people put their lives on the line, with a slogan that, besides being offensive is, well…
giphy

12 Likes

Bar lives matter is a bad choiche of words.

Besides bars, pubs, and restaurants were closed for a mont of so and that cause problems.
Ste situation was made less economically hard topping the payment of taxes and activating a wage guarantee fund for employees.

Next take away service was allowed and when reopened regulation on putting tables outsides were lifted.

There are problems because people is not going to bars and restaurants as before.

But somewhat the situation is almost at normal and no spread is in action.

Actually, that’s exactly the problem. If it was huge and spacious (and preferably with a large outdoor area) maybe he would have an argument that there is a safe way to provide limited service. But calling it a tiny bar doesn’t help his case.

16 Likes

It’s big, and has a big porch. Tables and seats could be put outside and even in the parking lot, putting some umbrellas. Use masks except when eating.

3 Likes

Have people always been as stupid as this or is this a new phenomenon since I started using the internet and hearing about it?

3 Likes

The bar owners are looking at opening as the only way to save their business (as if the unemployment situation wouldn’t be cutting profits for them anyway). But reopening is their only solution because they apparently rule out things like rent and mortgage cancellation. The bars are acting like the state and local governments are not going to take a massive revenue hit from this, too. Closing businesses hurts EVERYTHING. Responsible officials know this, and decided to close anyway. Maybe everyone should think about why they took this drastic step. People on “both sides” of this need to think more broadly and demand better solutions.

2 Likes

This doesn’t need to be thought through anymore. There are clear choices about what our society and government can do in the face of a pandemic level virus. It’s about what choices we make, and that boils down to our values about what’s important.

Some of us, including many experts in the fields of both medicine/disease and economics, believe shutting down nonessential businesses is the ethical decision, and that the lives of our fellow citizens who are most at risk have more value than, say, a sports bar. Clearly, your mileage varies.

8 Likes