Bar throw St. Patrick's Day party with "Kiss me, I'm contagious" t-shirts

Roger That!

2 Likes

Oh, those wacky Finns!

Grasshoppers! It’s time for you to leave!

2 Likes

Not wasted enough to take a piss on my doorstep as I make my way from midtown to the Village. Not wasted enough to join a gang of my drinking buddies in harassing women and picking fights after a parade. Unfortunately that’s life in Manhattan on the big day.

1 Like

All I know about St. patty’s day in the city I learned from 30 Rock, but it sounds like they got it right.

2 Likes

Here in Ireland we are being asked to STAY THE FUCK inside and not congregate at all. They don’t want people hanging out in parks etc. There is absolutely no notion that anyone will be going to a place to eat or drink. Or that places selling takeout food will be selling alcohol which would encourage people to congregate. I mean they only opened pubs on Paddy’s Day for the tourists in the first place. Like much of the world’s culture once it gets exported to the US the version adopted there becomes how it is. So Christmas is the most barking of American hybrids and our own Halloween is now synonymous with American imagery rather than our own.

No Biggie, not like I ever celebrated Paddy’s Day anyway. It’s for people abroad and tourists.

ETA by its nature it is more important for the many Irish and part Irish abroad. That’s NOT a criticism. We need it less. Nowadays I do like how it is used by Irish people from non traditional backgrounds to celebrate inclusiveness and that’s a celebration Incan get behind unlike the dull as dishwater white bread that it used to be.

2 Likes

Case in point that annual traditions are crucial for maintaining complacency in our citizenry of robots

“30 Rock” got a lot of things right about life in NYC. And to be clear, I’m not claiming the drunken louts are anything close exclusively Irish. Most of them are just the usual frat boys and bridge-and-tunnel yobbos who come into the city because they think St. Paddy’s Day is a free pass to act like entitled jerks.

Oh, yeah, I got that. It’s like someone else mentioned, it’s essentially amateur night for drinkers. Same way Halloween gets co-opted as an excuse to binge drink and act like an idiot in public. Celebrating Irish heritage or history is not on the minds of most of these dude-bros.
I’m going to dress like a pirate and eat boxty, based on some suggestions from various bb threads. :wink: Irish coffee, optional.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.