Miss Staten Island banned from St. Patrick's Day parade when she comes out as bisexual

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/miss-staten-island-banned-from.html

8 Likes

In related news…

25 Likes

But everyone loves “lesbians”.

Fifteen or twenty years ago our local St Patrick’s Day Parade (since 1824, maybe the oldest in North America) crowned a black woman as tye queen (or is it princess?) of tge parade. She did have Irish heritage. But there was an incident that I forget the details of, and it was never mentioned again. And nobody black since then.

In some ways our parade is more like a marker of spring arriving, everyone wears green even if they aren’t Irish. And the floats include a wide range of people, the Mohawks had a float one year (though it was specifically about a long dead Mohawk woman up for sainthood, a few years ago she was sainted).

So at this point why not a bisexual.woman? Likely they’ve been in the parades before, just not claiming the identity.

1 Like

21 Likes

Heteronormative homophobic gender and sexuality policing are alive and thriving among the bigot-ass St. Patrick’s Day Parade organizers I see.

27 Likes

How many children do the Catholics need to rape before we decide they are no longer the moral leaders of the planet and instead we can start laughing in their face anytime they start talking about their sky ghost and their stupid fucking rules?

29 Likes

I think we are long past that point.

6 Likes

What gets me is that the Irish themselves have no problem with gays in their parades. And guess which religion Ireland is predominantly.

15 Likes

“Tiny Pride”?

Jeez, we’re discriminating against those of short stature now? That’s heightist.

6 Likes

MALE GAZE ONLY

Any other gazes threaten the magnificent fragility of the male gaze’s objectifying purity and must be squashed, SQUASHED, I tell you, SQUASHED like these feelings of cognitive and aesthetic dissonance.

7 Likes

Was that in NYC?

(Reminded me of this) Yityish Aynaw, the first black Miss Israel, pays a visit to New York City – New York Daily News

1 Like

not only 2020 but marriage equality is legal for years now, wtf is with this country

(and on the other hand I wish I could live long enough to where people yawned when people “come out” or don’t even bother because it’s silly, ie. who cares)

7 Likes

It’s been weird for me, as a bi male. Anyone who actually knows me gives me the yawn when I come out.

Except gay people who seem to go out of their way to invalidate me.

Couldn’t say why.

“you can’t be bi because the ratios of partner you’ve had isn’t precisely 50/50. That means xyz”

24 Likes

Or that other tiresome statement, “What’s the matter can’t you decide?”

Of course, it’s my fault for being trans and bi and therefore choosing all the difficult options… :roll_eyes:

21 Likes

So you have to preface how bi you are with a “proof” label? o_0

50/50? 60/40? 33/67? 49/49/2?

I dunno, it sounds like how some straight people can’t understand how people can be gay from their point of view, I guess it stands to reason some gay people can comprehend being bi.

3 Likes

meanwhile in Russia, Putin is about to make marriage equality against their constitution itself, I feel so sorry for LGBTQ there, it must be tragic

8 Likes

It all comes down to wearing impressive big hats really.
If you’ve got the hat, you’ve got the high ground.

2 Likes

Wait…what? I thought we were past this kind of state sanctioned bigotry. Gay marriage is already legal everywhere in this US.

Staten Island is the West Virginia of New York (I say that lovingly because my mother was born and raised on the island), but still, I thought they were better than that.

5 Likes

I dunno, biphobia is really common. People get confused by it.

For what it’s worth, I find it confusing that most people are skeezed out by half or more of the genitals. They’re all more or less acceptable to me.

14 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see how that stands to reason at all. Humans love who they love. Some have an issue with that. They need to get over themselves.

13 Likes