Barbie expelled from perfect doll world in new technicolor dystopian nightmare movie

From The Accused (Tracie’s Story).

9 Likes

The recent adaptation of it is also good, too. It’s the more wholesome side of subversive, but it’s surprisingly good, nuanced writing.

A good example is Ken, the himbo’est himbo, riding along on his bike, enthused about his bell, running into local spoiled rich boy cleaning his car.
“You know, Ken, you can tell a lot about a person based on their ride.”
'Yeah! I know!" cheerful bicycle bell

7 Likes

Fabulous GIF *yoinked!!

ezgif-5-77f674dc84

15 Likes

I worked temp off-and-on for a few years in a toy warehouse, for a local chain of toy stores. One of my co-workers had worked in their retail stores for about 20 years before switching to the warehouse. One of the things she told me was that most toys are bought by the grandparents. I thought that was interesting! Makes sense, I guess, as I imagine (in broad brushstrokes) that parents may be strapped for cash while they’re raising kids, and/or may not want to indulge their own kids too much, while grandparents who are financially able may love to indulge (or over-indulge) on all the gift-giving occasions…

And that would fit with what you said, in terms of the parents having to not know about it—e.g., if the grandparents show up with gifts, the parents can’t easily/comfortably say no to them at that point. And grandparents can go around the parents by directly asking the grandchildren what they want.

14 Likes

This thread reminder me of an interesting documentary I saw years ago. It contained in-depth footage of a number of real kids playing with their Barbies, including dialog. Unfortunately it is really difficult to google. The first pages of hits are full of the dozens of animated movies and when you specify that you are looking for a documentary, then it is all about the other guy.

3 Likes

I’m sure I’ve seen this - I think I’m partially confusing it with the smart house that Pierce Brosnan voiced on The Simpsons. My now-8th grader used to watch this and the Barbie-related Kelly’s Dream Club.

2 Likes

I was expecting more of an epic

6 Likes
4 Likes

from

9 Likes

This might be the wrong movie for it, but Margot Robbie really deserves a win from one of the big awards ceremonies before she dies.

2 Likes

I thought she was great in I, Tonya

Can the Academy pick her out of a line-up though?
MargotRobbie

Jaime King, Margot Robbie, Faith Ford,
Samara Weaving, Emma Mackey, Jaime Pressley

4 Likes

And she deserves a snake-handling award.

1 Like

This can only mean that Skipper□ will get her own stand alone film!

3 Likes

lots of cameos in this film

1 Like

Good question, Barbie! It’s not like that couple could get up to much if Ken did spend the night…

6 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.