Barges strike Arkansas River dam

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/barges-strike-arkansas-river-d.html

4 Likes

Well that was pretty dam weired.

18 Likes

Dayum! that red one went down fast.

13 Likes

I do not envy the people who get to do that salvage job.

13 Likes

Dambusters raid! Damn! Bust! Ehr! Aid! (Help!)

5 Likes

What, no explosive fireball? Hollywood lied!

10 Likes

Blimey! That’s some powerful water.

@Lanthade I think that this is a job for International Rescue!

tb4

19 Likes

Coming up next: Extreme Magnet Fishing!

35 Likes

Dihydrogen monoxide is a menace! When is someone gonna do something?

8 Likes

Yeah, you tend to forget that water is very heavy, and has a lot of momentum. That river is going along at a pretty good quip too.

They are going to have a hell of a time getting those out of the dam. With the flow of water, they are going to have to exert many tons of force to pull them free.

6 Likes

I lived near the Arkansas River for many years (up in Kansas). It’s a shame they can’t wait until late summer when the water subsides after the spring rains. It would be easier then.

5 Likes

Just talking ex rectum here, but I assume they’d wait until the river’s down a bit so they can lower the flow with dams up stream. Not sure of any urgency to pull the stuff out right away (at least not the middle of a flood).

6 Likes

I would expect that salvage will happen once the river flow goes to a minimum and when the gates in that section are closed. Still not easy but easier I would guess.

2 Likes

That’s certainly a possibility. I’m guessing it’s over the high water mark up in Wichita right now.

3 Likes

That’s the best crash I’ve seen, by a damsite!

16 Likes

You’ve got a lock on the best pun.

4 Likes

I assume there are turbines under that dam. So when the barges sank and the fertilizer spilled out, did the shit hit the fan?

16 Likes

Well damn.

2 Likes

Combined with extreme drain unclogging. If one of the barges was full of bananas, this would be like a holy trinity!

7 Likes

Leave it to these two to just barge in…

:banana:

6 Likes