Video of dam gate collapsing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/video-of-dam-gate-collapsing.html

8 Likes

It’s a tidal wave of savings at Menards!

10 Likes

Party pooper.

5 Likes

Clearly Schizz doesn’t give a dam.

6 Likes

I hope it doesnt affect sausage production. New Braunfels has some dam good sausage.

5 Likes

“It’s not nice to fool pool Mother Nature”-- Chiffon Margarine

3 Likes

I want Grady Hillhouse of Practical Engineering to comment on this. I mean, this happened in Kyle, TX, which isn’t too far from Grady’s homebase of San Antonio, so I’m certain that he heard about this.

3 Likes

Some guy on Reddit posted some drone footage of the lake while it was partially drained.

6 Likes

First the F-16 and now this. They really need to catch the Kool-Aid man before someone gets hurt.

13 Likes

Thoughtful meditations on the folly of humanity, of course.

In an earlier time I would expect the footage to be casually co-opted for someone’s thinkpiece about Why Hydro Power Doesn’t Work or Climate Change Is Dooming Us All, but there are probably better options for that now.

3 Likes

That’s a dam shame

9 Likes

I expect vertical video with shaky-cam.
I expect complaints about same.
I expect silly puns.

One out of three ain’t bad.

13 Likes

Apparently someone’s been unclogging storm drains upstream without being asked to which stressed the finely balanced system.

6 Likes

Since the video has no sound…

7 Likes

The start of the collapse didn’t look like anything I would have expected. I hope Peter Jackson has seen this. Just in case he ever remakes Dambusters.

3 Likes

Nah, can’t you see the fly landing on it at .08 ?

5 Likes

I blame eel terrorists. Maybe a demolitions charge was set by the Eeliban.

6 Likes

Retaliation from the federation of beavers will be swift and without mercy.

6 Likes

Just another day of flash flooding here in central Texas. Probably half the dams in the state need to be overhauled and if you look at a map of Texas and see all those lakes, only ONE in the entire state is NOT man-made by a dam.

7 Likes

I find it interesting in the second or two after the front fell off (technical term), the water appeared to fall forward in one flat sheet. Shortly thereafter, the level dropped enough that the nearer spillway no longer flowed. Wonder how long it took for the level to fall to where they could begin repairs.

6 Likes