Barrett is Trump's Supreme Court pick to replace RBG

And The Handmaid’s Tale gets a lot closer to being placed in the non-fiction section.

4 Likes

Why bother with confirmation hearings. Dear leader has chosen. Why not vote tomorrow? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

At the risk of being flippant, she really is Serena from Handmaid’s Tale. She is undeniably whip smart, accomplished, and charismatic, and she’d happily sign away the rights of every other woman in the country.

7 Likes

It is kind of ironic that the frankensite Newsweek is flinging the cult label.

That has come up as a possibility already.

1 Like

for “democracy” we could also substitute “the economy” or “the environment”

5 Likes

If they really want to bring the senate to a screeching halt, they should impeach McConnell. It would be a complete circus. There is no precedent. No one knows how that trial would be conducted, but it would gridlock the senate completely. Normally that is a bad thing, but hardly something Mitch is in a position to complain about.

13 Likes

there is no process either.

senators cannot be impeached. they can be censured and/or expelled but only by a majority of senators. not possible in this case.

6 Likes

The senate can only censure/expel. The House can impeach any “civil officer of the United States” with no explicit definition of what that is. It would be a circus, but they could do it

ETA: According to the Senate, the House can impeach them. “If a federal official commits a crime or otherwise acts improperly, the House of Representatives may impeach—formally charge—that official.”

11 Likes

Covid does effect Republicans though, so he’s just living in a fantasy land.

Waiting for when he makes comments about the judge’s physical attributes…

2 Likes

emphasis to highlight correction to original comment.

in 1798 the house tried to impeach a sitting senator. the senate established that senators cannot be impeached and, while they rejected the articles of impeachment against him, then expelled the man. court cases since them have restricted impeachments to the president, the vice-president, top-level cabinet secretaries, and federal judges.

9 Likes

Was the bride of Frankenstein’s monster evil?

3 Likes

It probably depends on the B-movie. I know that the Christian Right would never go for a witch.

I think he thinks that IS his job. Winning at all costs.Vilify and block what ever the Democrats are trying to do.

I think Trump is the first president to refer to Blue states and Red States and suggests policies that they deserve different states based on that. I don’t recall Obama or Bush suggesting that. It certainly is not politics as usual.

7 Likes

They went for an atheist who picked up a Bible and said, “God Bless the US.” I think a witch could be reformed in the same way.

2 Likes

not as old as you think. trump did and does well with the 40 something white man crowd. the college scene is also having it’s problems with white supremacy.

america’s changing demographics do help, but they also feed into white reactionary victim hood.

civil rights laws were established what 60 years ago? and look what a fight it is still. we have to make changes today. otherwise tomorrow will continue to look pretty much the same.

7 Likes

I assume he will go with Ursula since she is the deal maker.

5 Likes

Probably. It’s not excuse though for actively making people’s lives worse the way that he’s been doing.

Not directly, but it’s been part of their campaigning strategies for a while now (and has been code for “white” and everyone else).

Again, maybe not directly, but the GOP certainly has run on such things, or at least on passing legislation that impacts the lives of “blue state” people (meaning, again, anyone that deviates from their interpretation of whiteness and deference to whiteness).

So, I think we agree that this isn’t politics as usual, but this is the unstated strategy of the GOP for decades stated and implemented.

6 Likes

I don’t think that is the trend at this point. It seems so at first looking at all the data piled together.

The dropping in women and people of color is higher in the Millennial range, but plain old white male Republicans are not much different. Add to that the fact that most Milllenials consider themselves “Independents”, and the fact that the numbers are all pre-apocalypse-year polarization, I bet you wouldn’t see a lot of difference along generational lines now.

You can bet once the Millennials age up more, a lot of those “Independents” will solidify into Republicans.

I can tell you that of the people I work with, only one person under 30 isn’t voting for Trump this election, and everyone over 30 is. I hope Democrats are just as motivated.

6 Likes