Baseball teams to fill empty stands with simulated crowd noise

Let’s not forget golf!

I also read they were getting the code for this from EA Sports, who were trying the technology out in the German Football league. Wish I could find the link.

Never mind. I found the article but it is just a poorly-written piece about this.

EA Sports Is Creating Fake Crowds For Real Life Soccer Matches

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 1.08.46 AM Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 1.05.10 AM

2 Likes

But will the fake crowd sing “…buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks…” during the seventh-inning stretch or the grammatically-correct-but-less-common “…buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack”?

Listen to it on Test Match Special (BBC Radio 5 extra) and you get the Lord’s Hum in the background, you can also listen to TMS without the hum online. I am not sure if they could play a different crowd noise, but the Oval crowd would be a better option for the Windies, maybe Headingley would suit England.

The Premier League clubs have a variety of atmosphere sound options, I hoped they would offer a club app to season ticket holders, watching on TV, who could use a tap-and-cheer (or boo) that could be broadcast in the ground.

If you can turn it off on TMS it seems they only insert it into the feed then and don’t play it live. Must be weird for the players but it probably works better in a concentration based game like cricket or baseball than in a fast paced one like football, where the crowd needs to keep the energy up.

You are right, the grounds are almost silent except for the staff, most test cricketers are used to switching off the crowd when concentrating (except bowlers who love a bit of crowd noise in their run up). Football sometimes seems improved by the communication between players but on the whole I think they prefer some noise.

1 Like

In the UK, most broadcasters have the option and I much prefer it without the fake noise. I honestly don’t see the point and you get used to the “quiet” after a while.

On the contrary. I find it much more interesting to actually hear the shouting.

I’m now at the point where if there’s no option to turn off the fake noise I’d rather have it on mute.

2 Likes

And booing the refs! I watched a match today where the fake crowd were deeply unhappy at a call, even after VAR upheld it. It was kind of fun!

Watching soccer, the ones without crowd noise, where you can hear the players calling to each other, is really interesting. Whereas the fake crowd noise doesn’t work for me.

Hmm. Maybe a laugh track…

Pretty sure the ghosts booed when the ref called off a goal for offsides. Was kind of surprised. I’m waiting for the boos to follow one player around, as sometimes happens if they have made a dumb comment in the press recently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.