No more spitting in Major League Baseball

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/no-more-spitting-in-major-leag.html

7 Likes

Can they cut down on the at-bat rituals too? Games would probably be over in an hour.

10 Likes

Why do you hate baseball AND America?!

15 Likes

Baseball: 15 minutes of action packed into four hours.

18 Likes

Uh, that is is a SEVERE exaggeration.

I love baseball, but we’re talking, like, six minutes of important action at most.

12 Likes

But what about nose to nose shouting to contest a call? how can there be baseball unless there’s

12 Likes

There goes the whole ballgame.

9 Likes

I once took a British friend to a MLB game and he said it was the most boring event he’s ever been to…this coming from a cricket fan!

11 Likes

I have only gone to an MLB game once. It was a doubleheader, and was the longest week of my life.

8 Likes

NASCAR can do this much better. A Daytona 500? Really?

5 Likes

It doesn’t matter if the latest CDC news has surfaces and spit not being a serious threat. Much of what is done to fight the virus, is mostly for show. I’m OK with that, we need all the moral support we can get!

And to think all it took to bring about this change was a pandemic… :thinking:

2 Likes

Spitting is prohibited (including but not limited to, saliva, sunflower seeds or peanut shells, or tobacco) at all times in Club facilities (including on the field). Chewing gum is permitted.

Thank FSM! Finally these players will have to swallow their sunflower seed and peanut shells like real Americans! Wait… who eats peanuts by popping the whole shelled legume into their mouth??? LOL

6 Likes

“Pitchers may carry a small wet rag in their back pocket to be used for moisture in lieu of licking their fingers.”

I was wondering about that, but if the aim is to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, then shouldn’t some thought be given to the other team members too? They also handle the ball, and there are likely many chances for their saliva to get on there and be passed around like (as has always been the case) a spherical petri dish.

2 Likes

Swallowing dip juice can’t be too good for health. Ew.

3 Likes

I guess they have to switch to snuff??? :thinking:

1 Like

I love baseball.

I won’t miss the spitting, but I also can’t see how you stop ANY athlete from spitting, in any sport. I end up spitting when I run, the heavy breathing just brings stuff up out of my lungs.

And all the jokes about baseball being slow or boring . . . if you don’t get it then you don’t get it, I’m not gonna argue with you, but one of the most exciting things in baseball is a pitcher’s duel, a scoreless game going into the 9th where the two starters are both vying for the win. And it’s even better if one is working on a no-hitter.

14 Likes

4 hour game means more advertising slots.

1 Like

This will also allow pitchers to add foreign substances to balls more easily. Watch for cheaters!
In the past pitchers added vaseline and other stuff to the brim of their hat to apply to the ball.

1 Like

Even though the spitball was banned in 1920, 17 players were grandfathered in an allowed to use the pitch for the remainder of their careers. The last of these, Burleigh Grimes didn’t retire until 1934.

In 1955, MLB Commissioner, Ford Frick, advocated for the return of the spitball, saying to reporters, “If I had my way, I’d legalize the old spitter. It was a great pitch and one of the easiest to throw. There was nothing dangerous about it.” He didn’t get his wish.

4 Likes