Cops bust cricket games with fake crowd noises and fixed outcomes—and very real gamblers

Originally published at: Cops bust cricket games with fake crowd noises and fixed outcomes—and very real gamblers | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The Chennai Fighters did nothing wrong!

3 Likes

gladiator GIF

5 Likes

While Indian laws do not allow sports betting (except for horse racing)

"While Indian laws only allow sports betting on horse racing . . . "

FTFY

3 Likes

6 Likes

It’s not authentic enough until I hear this

14 Likes

Faking a sports betting event? Now where have I heard of such a thing before?

12 Likes

I don’t care for cricket but I find myself interested in seeing some of these fake games.

Getting players to convincingly make bad plays sounds like a challenge.

2 Likes

Not if your marks are Russians who have never seen a game of cricket in their lives

3 Likes

Acting on a tip-off

Until they got the tip-off, the authorities were stumped.

9 Likes

Unfortunately not

2 Likes

It was audio streaming only I presume, not video. A modern day ‘War of the Worlds’ with a twist! I wonder if they infiltrated anyone in the Kremlin?!

1 Like

The most incomprehensibly alien thing I ever saw on Doctor Who was watching Peter Davison play cricket.

I still have no idea how that game is played

No they had video

3 Likes

WHAT!? That’s even crazier than I would have imagined?! Although clearly we shouldn’t rule out such fakery in the future, with deepfakes and all. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

They don’t add fake crowd noises to the real games? /s

1 Like

I know you’re joking but the first few international test series in the pandemic definitely had crowd noises added when no one was allowed in the stands. It took me a while to realise because it was very well done.

4 Likes

No, they hired a bunch of blokes (job creation!) and staged the matches, the umpires we telling them what to do and getting their instructions from the guys acting as bookies.
In that respect they actually put more effort in then The Sting

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.