Basketball legend Kobe Bryant, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/26/basketball-legend-kobe-bryant.html

9 Likes
2 Likes

I’ll never complain about flying coach again.

4 Likes

Kobe died just hours after congratulating Lebron James for beating his all-time scoring record. At least he went out on a classy note.

38 Likes

There’s an old saying that if something hasn’t broken on your helicopter lately, then it is about to.

Helicopters have less redundancy than fixed wing aircraft, so single point failures are more likely to cause a crash.

Helicopters tend to be used to access areas with high population density, with few opportunities for an emergency landing.

Put all that together, and while they are not too dangerous to use from time to time, if you use one to get around all the time it looks fairly likely that the helicopter will kill you.

I used to wonder about a particular business man who used a high school oval near my work to fly into the city every morning. Does he understand the probability of eventually finishing up in trees, or a river, simply due to an equipment failure?

16 Likes

Don’t forget rapist…

28 Likes

I was just about to mention that too.

3 Likes

Was curious what the percentage of helicopter crashes is compared to planes and cars and looked it up:

And seems like the percentage has been going up:

6 Likes

His daughter also. :frowning_face:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/live-news-coverage-from-cbs-news/ar-BBmYvYY?appwebview=true&ocid=spartanntp

11 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah I have heard of these failing on autogyros. The rotor just separated.

I saw a hang glider fail where the single bolt which formed the hang point had been incorrectly (ie not) installed.

On a paraglider you have two carabiners, one for each set of risers, and if either one fails, you don’t have a wing anymore.

Saw a home built helicopter at an air show. The drive to the tail rotor was a string of drive belts and pulleys.

6 Likes

This is horrible. Fuck.

One of the all-time best.

5 Likes

I get it that rotor wing aircraft can do crazy shit that fixed wing can’t touch… but the aesthetics are just wrong. Spending all that fuel just to tread fluid seems so crazy wasteful. And noisy. And dangerous. For search and rescue, totally worth it. And when Marines need boots on the ground, they’ll put up with a crash record like that of the Osprey, just one more hazard.

But routine commuting? That seems reckless. And wasteful.

7 Likes

That was my fear, that other people from his family were in the helicopter. I cant see the video because of my ad blocker but i’ve heard that there was possibly another parent and kid on the plane too.

4 Likes

Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter Gianna also was killed in the crash.

6 Likes
19 Likes

So, one of the most awesome sportsman slash humans on the planet is killed in helicopter crash and that miserable mother fucker SoB trump still lives. If there was ever proof that there is no god this is it.

6 Likes

This is news, how? Pretty much everybody knows TMZ is a scummy and trashy news organization. But they are also very good at what they do, which is being the first to break some really big scoops.

2 Likes

Yup, looks like we are in for a long week of glorifying a rapist because he was good at at sports, and a man.

14 Likes

Which, again, is pretty much what makes them a scummy and trashy news organization.

Got it, thnx

6 Likes