Batman's message to America

It’s O’Neill, with two L’s. There’s another Colonel O’Neil with only one L. He has no sense of humor at all.

1 Like

8 Likes

Old Emo Philips joke:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump.

I said, “Don’t do it!”
He said, “Nobody loves me.”
I said, “God loves you. Do you believe in God?”
He said, “Yes.”
I said, “Are you a Christian or a Jew?”
He said, “A Christian.”
I said, “Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?”
He said, “Protestant.”
I said, “Me, too! What franchise?”
He said, “Baptist.”
I said, “Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?”
He said, “Northern Baptist.”
I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist.”
I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region.”
I said, “Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?”
He said, “Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912.”

I said, “Die, heretic!” And I pushed him over.

17 Likes

Beehives are a poor metaphor for human societies.

Some of the longest, bloodiest, most bitterly-fought conflicts in history were fought not between groups that had major differences within a diverse society but between groups that had minor differences within a relatively homogeneous society.

Know one thing you DON’T see much of in America? Bloody feuds between Catholic and Protestant or between Sunni and Shiite.

8 Likes

Oooh, yeah. That one’s much grumpier.
Did they ever explain that in-universe?

“Identity politics” is a reactionary dogwhistle, by the way. It’s usually used to insinuate people of non-dominant racial, religious, gender, or sexual groups are hurting progress by defending themselves or standing up for their own rights.

15 Likes

Since i think others have competently covered the problems with considering diversity as problematic as your comment seemed to, i will simply reply to this

by saying that i used to like the metaphor of the salad bowl. Many components, each with their own characteristics and all together harmonious, coming together to be something that a pile of lettuce leaves by themselves could never be.

13 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

9 Likes

See Europe through most of it’s history. Today they seem fairly similar - fairly well of white people - but they still have a lot of cultural differences. While they haven’t gone to war with each other for awhile, they still have a lot of bad blood swimming around.

I totally agree. Even though we are still awash in racism and bias and feelings ranging from indifference to dislike to hatred of our neighbors - we do a decent job of pushing it down and making it through the day with out killing someone. (And before someone brings up all the examples of us killing each other, yes, yes, we have a long way to go. I’d still rather live here than many other places.)

I think it makes it hard when we apply how Americans behave and act, and then expect other parts of the world to act the same. But they come from a different world view than us and don’t behave like us - and vice versa.

4 Likes

Yes. I was never aware of the term before this past election.

People who are against identity politics seem to be saying “I can accept anyone as a fellow American as long as they think exactly the same way I do.”

7 Likes

Diversity is essential in human life. How do you get babies? Put two people of different biological genders together. Who are the healthiest offspring? The ones with the most diversity in their genes. Having everyone the same gives you this:

Which is pretty much what our elected officials are starting to look like, both literally and figuratively.

6 Likes

As much as it pains me to admit it, superheroes are all inherently reactionary: they almost invariably deal with threats to the established order, be it on a local or galactic scale. Batman is more obvious than Superman, because he is the literal embodiment of a revenge fantasy; but even Superman is fundamentally conservative, going to extreme lengths to not challenge the “natural order” among humans.

There are very few exceptions, very few examples of progressive superheroes; among mainstream ones, the only franchise built on improving our world rather than saving it, is IMHO the X-Men: a collective that builds new institutions (schools, independent micronations, etc) to make the world a better and different place, where leaders are constantly criticised as equals among peers. Everyone else is just an extra arm of the System.

3 Likes

That art was released in 1949. Now what’s your problem with it, exactly?

1 Like

I quite like this one:

But if comics know so well, shall we dredge up the dozens (hundreds?) teaching the youth that alcohol and marijuana and the rest of the recreational pharmacopeia are all bad too?

4 Likes

Nothing tops the hypocrisy of a guy who got his superpowers from steroids telling kids to stay away from drugs.

10 Likes

This. The “melting pot” was never really what it claimed. It was a “conform to us” pot that asked people to ignore their heritage and try to be like whitey.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.