Batman's message to America

But if had left Krypton 12 hours later he would have landed on the Russian steppes, been raised by a Stalinist family, and then fought Rocky.

7 Likes

So many Batmans, so many messages though…

7 Likes

(Applauds)

Well sure, but I’d rather have Lex. He’s more stable and definitely far more intelligent.

9 Likes

What about that DC Universe where Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent got hooked on Objectivism in high school?

4 Likes

Batman is basically Dexter + costume.

5 Likes

Give me a f•ing break - there never has been a melting pot here - just good old fashioned racism. Diversity is about accepting that “different” (from white) doesn’t mean worse. Besides there are plenty of young people who aren’t just living side by side, but making beautiful babies together : http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/changing-faces/funderburg-text

8 Likes

It is also possible that this particular artwork got recycled well into the 70s. I cant fully trust my memories of 40+ years ago, but I think I remember this or this kind of PSA from 70s comic books.

In case Nat Geo won’t let you see the photos/article you can see some here - there are some beautiful faces!

3 Likes

Five Caucasian guys, one Caucasian girl, one Asian male, and one Black male. Is that the ideal we are still fighting for? This idea of “tolerance” is outdated and the fact that some will cite it as a progressive ideal is pathetic. Let’s look at the present and look towards the future instead of judging ourselves against the pithy attitudes of the past.

2 Likes

I think what he was trying to get at was more succinctly phrased thusly:

The forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us.

• Barack Obama
1 Like

Only if one sees “diversity” as a force that divides us.

3 Likes

Well, it is, pretty much by definition. There’s no racism inside a beehive. The point is that having an appreciation of our commonalities enables us to appreciate our differences.

Respectfully, diversity is what differentiates us. It only divides us if we are intolerant of said differences.

14 Likes

history says, when there isn’t racism, people divide themselves by gender, or religion, or language, or …

there are also families which can’t get over it, refuse to acknowledge the spouse, disown the children, seek to divide the grandchildren against their parents, and so on.

i’m pessimistic today. the thing is, i think you are right that something needs to spur empathy, and that empathy is often the key for changing minds. personal experience, famous stars coming out, movies like brokeback mountain, required reading of toni morrison, whatever. something needs to make people care.

one thing the american political machine has been great at is honing the hot button issues, limiting the number of democrats who could vote republican and vice versa. limiting people to opening their hearts and minds.

but this is largely something the majority needs to change, not the minority.

the saga of minorities in this country is that they are constantly being asked to conform, to compromise, to put up with adversity… just for now, we promise. only solutions for them are always just around the corner.

and it’s happening again. build a wall? cut banking regulations? challenge women’s rights? we’re there. black lives matter, police and prison reform, gay and trans rights? will people keep showing up and working on these issues when we inevitably go to war with iran? time will tell.

maybe it’s time we all stopped allowing intolerance. maybe it’s time we isolated those who can’t cope. let them realize it’s in their best interests to make amends, and not the other way around.

8 Likes

Where is that not the case?

There’s no sexism or bigotry in beehives either.

1 Like

Helluva caste system, though. With rigidly defined gender roles.

7 Likes

And ultimately gave a shit about humanity, if only just.

1 Like

Batman doesn’t even use a gun, how unAmerican.

4 Likes