BBC documentarians paid a bunch of influencers to promote a product with cyanide in it

3 Likes

Yup, celebrities are perhaps not the best source for health info? Maybe? Itā€™s a thought anyway.

6 Likes

Tell that to the parents of sick or dead kids who believed Jenny McCartney

6 Likes

Exactly.

6 Likes

Goes great with chlorinated American chicken!

3 Likes

Could be worse.

The headline could have been:

ā€œBBC Documentarians kill three semi-celebrities to make a point about advertisingā€

Luckily for the BBC, those semi-celebrities were either dishonest or never try the products they hawk

1 Like

ā€œWhy not both?ā€

4 Likes

There was one who said they always try the product and two who say they donā€™t. The people who said they donā€™t were at least being honest about it.

1 Like

Not terribly surprising.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t seen the documentary (BBC requires a login, and Iā€™m not sure if there isnā€™t also a geo-blocking or fee) and Iā€™m basing only on the buzzfeed story.

I wonder why the documentarist hadnā€™t gone all the way to get the three to publish the ads, maybe it was too costly.
If I understood it correctly, the influencers only replied to buzzfeed after the show was aired, and they could justify themselves like that only because the documentarists left the deals unfinished and it makes the documentary thesis weaker.

Iā€™m not trying to justify the (other) actions of those influencers (or any other), but I wonder how unscrupulous they really are.
It feels like they are dishonest enough to claim false results from the products, because they know that they are advertising not the product, and its results, but some status signaling option, but they arenā€™t psychopathic enough to promote something clearly harmful (it is not good in the long run), and maybe they just assume that if a product is available for sale it means that someone (FDA or its equivalent) assures that it is safe.
It is strange that they donā€™t trust themselves (as it should be) to vet the products, but still believe that some other organization does and then it is at least safe.

1 Like

Or they could have been smart enough to not try the product and honest enough to turn down the money.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: ahahahaha what am I saying?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.