BBC names Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor Who

Originally published at: BBC names Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor Who | Boing Boing

17 Likes

Good luck Doctor Who!

18 Likes

I love it! But it better not interfere with me getting another 15 seasons of him pretending to be a teenager on Sex Education!

23 Likes

Still not a ginger thou…

24 Likes

Yeah, presumably he’ll have to have a British accent. I mean the doctor can be a woman or a Black man, but not Scottish. That’s a bridge too far.

16 Likes

Although … Peter Capaldi’s Scottish accent slipped through sometimes. Tennant had better control over his.

11 Likes

(If you want to be picky, a Scottish accent is a British accent)

28 Likes

I dare you to say that to a Scottish person.

31 Likes

Depends on which side of Scottish independence they’re on.

6 Likes

Ratings have plummeted. The Doctor is no longer a Time Lord. The showrunners have disrespected the fans and blame them for the loss of viewership instead of admitting they could have possibly made a mistake. The injection of gender, sexual orientation, and other political topics into what was supposed to be entertainment, and the blatent lying denials by the show runners and prominent actors about doing so, has alienated not just het white men as they claim, but a vast swath of former viewers of all viewpoints.

I hope the combination of some new faces and experienced showrunners will revitalize and create a show worth seeking out (I note it has not been carried on Amazon Plus since Jodi joined, and I cut cable out years ago). I am not holding my breath, and seriously, I think that it may be time to put it down for a decade or more, let the fuckups that resulted in this mess die off, and start over, maybe with a full reboot.

Or just let it die. 60ish years is a damn good run, and if the modern BBC is so politicized that it is no longer able to produce a Doctor Who show without shitting all over it to make it taste better, then it’s time for some quiet euthanasia and burial, with a tombstone of 862 episodes for those who wish to see what it was about.

4 Likes

He is great on Sex Education, and I’m curious to see his take on The Doctor.

Also, I’m encouraged that we got at least 10 or so comments in here before the angry incels started chiming in.

37 Likes

My hope was George Takei for the next doctor. Both for his acting capabilities, and the big crossover options: the only doctor that could time travel without a TARDIS, but using a Constitution class starship.

Still hope for an episode with Michael J. Fox as a guest star.

11 Likes

ummm. so, you’ve never watched dr who - new or old - then. thanks for clearing that up.

58 Likes

If you can find the Dr Who, ST:TNG crossover comic, it’s pretty good, and sounds like it would be up your alley. The Cybermen and the Borg buddy up unsurprisingly.

10 Likes

You know not of what you speak.

28 Likes

No true Scotsman?

21 Likes

I’m just enjoying watching the toxic masculinity brigade have an utter meltdown again, as they did when Foster was named. “First, a woman, and now - gasp!” a black man! It’s all woke shit now!" I mean, could they give away their bigotry any more clearly? It’s only a time lord who can (and has at least once) reincarnate into any gender or appearance. “NO! ONLY WHITE MEN!”

Give me more popcorn, because watching them blow a gasket over this is delightful.

popcorn

37 Likes

I hope they give Lizzo a shot at the role.
I couldn’t imagine anything more fun.
Dayum.

3 Likes

PeterDoc was full on Scottish, all of the time. There was no “slipped through” about it. (I think it was supposed to be explained in-story by the fact that the last human voice Matt Smith’s Doctor heard before regenerating was Amy’s, albeit in a hallucination of sorts.)

Also, Sylvester McCoy.

26 Likes

Haters gotta hate, I guess…

2nd-doctor-jamie-zoe-welp

29 Likes