BBC News anchor gives the finger during live TV broadcast (video)

Originally published at: BBC News anchor gives the finger during live TV broadcast (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Yep Yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

7 Likes

Some respondents to her post called her unprofessional and advocated defunding the BBC.

Let me guess. Are they the same people who have advocated defunding the BBC for the last 40 years?

24 Likes

It’s a finger. It’s only “bad” because we as a society “agree” that it is (just like swear words).

Can’t we all grow up and get over it?

3 Likes

7 Likes

It’s not like it was two fingers.

And it looks like it’s GeeBeebies who are complaining about it. It’s probably too mild for them and not directed at the people who they think deserve it.

5 Likes

5de

9 Likes

For once the classic ‘I’m sorry if you’re offended or upset’ is used reasonably.

11 Likes

It’s not actually an insult in the UK. We only know about it from watching American films and stuff.

We use the two finger salute, which apparently dates back to the 100 Years War (though this may be a myth)

5 Likes

More viewable version of the Ernie Anastos ‘gaffe’:

Let he who doesn’t have a middle finger cast the first stone.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

I was pretending to count down as the director was counting me down from 10-0… including the fingers to show the number. So from 10 fingers held up to one. When we got to 1 I turned finger around as a joke and did not realise that this would be caught on camera.

I’m sorry, she is (supposedly) a professional. If your floor director is counting you down and gets to one second, you should realize that you are about to be on the air.

Sage words of advice: assume all guns are loaded, assume all mics are hot and assume all camera are live. These will keep you out of a lot of trouble.

1 Like

I certainly don’t care and am not offended by the middle finger, I think it’s funny in this situation.

But I can also get why the BBC, an organization that wants to portray itself as professional, serious newscasters, might have a tizzy at someone being flip on the air. It’s off brand for the state news service.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.