Hot mic news anchor "immediately fired" after calling co-anchor a c█nt

Originally published at: Hot mic news anchor "immediately fired" after calling co-anchor a c█nt | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ah…
it’s only misogyny. So relieved.

:roll_eyes:

22 Likes

I mean a man with 20 years at a job was immediately terminated for misogyny. They fired him as fast as they could once it came across the mic. I don’t see a downside to this story. It was absolutely the right thing to do.

5 Likes

You missed the part where Shirleen Allicot was called a c■nt.

14 Likes

Well, okay, yes. That’s definitely a downside, I thought that would be a given. I meant in how they handled it after he said it.

3 Likes

except he was probably mostly fired for not being aware his mic was hot…

9 Likes

Dollars to donuts they wanted to fire him for a long time for other reasons and found this one convenient.

7 Likes

Based on the story so far, I provisionally agree with you, but almost always when this happens we soon find out that this sort of behavior was common and well known by everyone in the office before hand, just not caught on tape. It’s fully an assumption, but I think it at the very least warrants asking around before saying that ABC 7 “handled this correctly”

10 Likes

If he’s unprofessional and impulsive enough to get caught doing this on a hot mic, he must have been an utter nightmare to work with behind the scenes.

10 Likes

He called her a cent? That doesn’t even make sense!

cents

3 Likes

You beat me to it.

It’s not that he said it, it’s that he got caught saying it on a live microphone and that made the people in charge look bad.

12 Likes

OHHH! See, now is when you need to adopt the fake British accent.

3 Likes

A reporter in the UK, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, was reprimanded & taken off-air for a whole week for applying the same term to tory Northern Ireland minister steve baker, just before liz “pork-and-cheese” truss resigned. baker’s lying and obfuscational fuckery during an interview led to Guru-Murthy’s post-interview outburst.

The tories can’t stand Mr Guru-Murthy - he does his V best to get actual answers out of them; e.g.,

There’s a spot of nsfw langwidge in the vid, Fellow Mutants.

4 Likes

This is 100% true every time, if one looks at the history of this type of thing. Nobody wakes up one day and decides to hate women, says one thing, and gets fired. Or is an avowed misogynist who kept his mouth shut his entire life and slipped up this one time. It’s never one incident, it’s always the end of a long pattern. Always.

That said, like @Lion says, I’m not going to complain about the outcome. At least it went the right way (even if only very late). Progress is progress, even if it’s slower than we’d like.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.