BBQ YouTuber gleefully microwaves a 12lb brisket

Originally published at: BBQ YouTuber gleefully microwaves a 12lb brisket | Boing Boing

1 Like

fucking sacrilege

and really yummy looking

but

fucking sacrilege

2 Likes

It is baffling.

2 Likes

It is meat tho. Meat good

4 Likes

I like in these videos, when his buddy joins in and kicks all the optimism to the curb before even taking a bite. But everything he does feels like: “I am burning money so you don’t have to.”

1 Like

Good for you, being a dedicated BBQer and being open minded about this guy shortcutting the process.

1 Like

Try the slow cooker. Never done a brisket but I’ve been doing a lot of corned beef lately. Best effort was smeared with mustard and brown sugar. No water or oil - just the meat and about 10 or 12 hours. All or most of it on high. Brisket works just the same.

1 Like

I wonder if he could have gotten it more tender by cooking it another 3-5minutes and hitting 195F

There are likely two factors contributing to chewiness here: (1) Microwaves are not exactly known for heating things evenly, so there were probably hot spots that experienced rapid muscle fiber contraction, which causes chewiness. There’s no fix for this except for “don’t use a microwave!” (2) Failure to liquefy the collagen (which I think is what you were getting at with the remark about 195F). Brisket is full of connective tissue made of collagen. This makes it chewy/stingy/rubbery unless you melt it into gelatin, at which point the brisket becomes supremely ■■■■■ (why is the word m o i s t being censored?) and tender. In theory, you could accomplish this by holding the meat at 160F for hours and hours. In practice, it’s generally accepted that brisket has so much collagen in it that you need a higher temperature to melt it all before the meat turns to mush from overcooking. AmazingRibs, who seems to have put a lot of thought and research into the question, says 203F is the optimal target temp. Anyway, this brisket was in the microwave for less than an hour, so it’s hard to imagine that much collagen got melted. I don’t see a way to fix this, since microwaving may times longer would turn the meat mushy, while upping the wattage would make the abrupt-contraction problem that much worse. So I guess the bottom line is: “microwaving a brisket is a bad idea.”

1 Like

He could have killed some hotspots with a few potatoes, onions and herb sashes.
The vent path is probably good and juicy in the microwave…I guess covering it with parchment would have just boiled the thing worse?

It’s the wrong channel to ask to emulate making the same thing with a human exercise-powered microwave, and a batter of tofu, lotus nuts, leeks, gluten sausage, and peppers…

Meat good. Like Meat!!
Much meat better… Hmmmm!!
Sous vide meat before smoke with fire… Arggghhhh!!
Want crust on meat. Want meat juice.
Kill animal for meat!

Probably use hickory wood as my main smoking chips and dry age the meat on an open rack in the refrigerator for two days and accompany with a classic salad of bitter leaves and tomatoes dressed in a very good first pressed virgin olive oil.

Meat is good

Or an hour in your instant pot (not counting an overnight marinade).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.