The holy grail of bbq: a giant wagyu A5 brisket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/the-holy-grail-of-bbq-a-giant-wagyu-a5-brisket.html

2 Likes

BBQ your brisket, I kid you not, low temp and a keen eye on it and you’ll have a piece of delish bovine.

BTW: As the St. Pats day closes in, get that brisket on sale, stick it in the freezer for Spring / Summer bbq’s.

BTW 2.0:
I use a cast iron hibachi grill top in my fireplace, 24 inch X 18 inch.
1] already have a fire every night
2] uses wood fuel for two purposes ie. keeps us warm & cooks yummy food
FAQ:
a] go small on the fire & food the first time
b] get 16 inch tongs
c] use a fire proof glove for obvious reasons
d] leave room on either side of the grill top to stoke the fire with fresh hot wood briquettes.
e] pizza stone works too, but it takes awhile to perfect your technique.

I’m using a combo of walnut & almond wood for grilling. If I can find it, applewood is my all time fav.

6 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxw0IgvYbrM

3 Likes

…Or go the easy route and sous vide with a touch of liquid smoke.

Then enjoy all that extra time found not tending to the grill… :smiley:

tenor

6 Likes

I’ve honestly pretty much given up on brisket.

Chuck is cheaper, easier to come by, easier to work with, cooks quicker, and produces better bbq.

But brisket is less tricky than it seems.

Most of it comes down to prep, fire control, and buying the right piece of meat. You definitely want the whole packet brisket, and I’ve had better luck with Certified Angus Beef than regular choice. Usually get the Restaurant Depot CAB briskets. Good combo of price to quality.

It’s also one of the rare things where I think injecting is actually a good idea. It’s just a little insurance for a piece of meat that desperately wants to turn out like shit.

Otherwise:

I have never seen brisket on sale in relation to St Patrick’s day. Cause it’s corned beef for St Pat’s and you can’t use a cured cut for bbq. Around here Brisket shows up for Passover, which is around the same time of year. Floats around but within a month or so. Unfortunately it’s almost always trimmed flats, and the sale price is typically higher than the normal price of an untrimmed whole brisket. Or even just point cut if you can find it.

But hell I’ve even started using chuck for my corned beef. It’s just a better cut in most regards.

1 Like

Why wait?

1 Like

Pandemic rules regarding multi-family gatherings in my county would be restrictive when cooking upwards of 20lbs of beef.

4 Likes

Sexy, af!

6 Likes

Wait, is that an ELECTRIC grill?

1 Like

Is a corned beef brisket the same as a beef brisket?

It’s like this: They are both beef , but not the same thing. … Corned beef starts out as beef brisket and is brine-cured first. The brine-cure is what makes it corned beef and that curing process is where it gets its color from. At stores, beef brisket will be labeled beef brisket and have a good amount of fat on it.

But in here lay the details: Many St.Pats day briskets are not corned yet [especially the cheap on sale ones], the mix is in a separate pouch, that shit, toss out. Then you have a brisket ready for you very own way of desired cooking process. I say “low and slow” with this cut of beef.

Good luck bovine loving mutants.

4 Likes

I have no clue; I don’t own a barbecue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is not true.

Corned beef is any cut of beef cured with salt, nitrates and spices. Often it is brisket, but round, chuck and navel are also common. (I cure mine from chuck. And I have to get a start on that).

The packaged corned beefs sold for St. Patrick’s day are always cured. They’re even vacuum sealed while still in brine (the pinkish liquid in the bag). The packet of spices in there is for seasoning the poaching liquid when you cook it (and yes you should throw it out).

It takes from one week to several months to cure a corned beef. You could not sell a fresh brisket with a bag of cure a few days before St. Patrick’s day and in anyway get a corned beef out of it.

Corned beef must legally be labelled corned beef. It can not be labelled just “brisket”. And they’re pretty visually distinct. Corned beef has the pink color of cured meat, much like ham does.

If you smoke a corned beef you get pastrami. Not BBQ brisket.

It’s much the same difference between bacon and pork belly.

Brisket is just a cut of beef. On it’s own it denotes a fresh cut, uncured.

Briskets do show up around late winter early spring in volume. But it’s for Passover. For this awesome, the only thing I still use Brisket for.

2 Likes

Oy vey…

oy vey

/oi ˌvā/

exclamation

1. indicating dismay or grief.
1 Like

I use pink salt and make my own too.

4 Likes

Honestly, I do not grill steaks over charcoal or on my gas grill anymore.
I found that I like it best when I put my cast iron skillet on the side burner of my Weber till it’s as hot as possible, then I pan sear it on all sides to about 90 degrees in the center. Then take the skillet off the heat, bring it in the house, drop a little butter on top, cover, then let come up to med rare while resting in its juices. One big Costco NY strip is more than enough for me and my wife, so I slice it up after resting and pour the juices over it.

1 Like

Salt, fat, acid, heat. How you go about using them is up to us individuals.

Hey look! It’s getting close to dinner time again. :smiley:

1 Like

Grilled sausage and peppers tonight with home made corn bread!

1 Like