The holy grail of bbq: a giant wagyu A5 brisket

I love home made corn bread. Also made in my cast iron skillet. Which recipe do you use?
The below has been my go-to for a long time. Before I mix it up, I put canola in my skillet, then put it in the oven while it preheats. When you pour the batter in, it gets fried on the bottom and sides.

1 Like

In a large bowl, 30% combine flour to 70% cornmeal, brown sugar, salt and lightly add baking powder. Stir in egg, buttermilk [optional cheddar cheese] and avocado oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven @325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Note: Avocado oil has a very high flash point, it really improves the baking experience for the beginner/novice/pro.

Note: I have a strong professional convection oven, so your time of bake/ing will differ.

Chuck is your answer.

It’s often recommended as more practical, less risky practice round for cooking brisket. It’s a lot more forgiving, but otherwise it’s pretty much the same techniques and recipes.

And importantly it’s a lot smaller.

I do a Montreal-style Smoked Meat: brine the brisket (in a solution with the necessary preservative salts and Montreal steak spices) for 10 days - smoke that baby for 8 hours - steam it in the oven for 2 or 3 hours (depending on the size) - and then slice that yummy treasure and serve on rye bread with mustard and a big ass pickle on the side. As good as Schwartz’s.

Would love to get my hands on a largish lump of waygu.

4 Likes

Around here, they sell cheap whole/half briskets, with the curing salts/spices in a packet to turn it into corned beef.

I often buy them and toss the curing salt/spice packet away to cook just the brisket the way I want.

And only like 200 bucks (trimmed, $1500 whole). Worth it, I guess, if your cooking process is monetized…

Interesting. So same (sort of) combo of ingredients as mine, but with a higher ratio of cornmeal to flour.
I’ll have to try that. I never keep buttermilk on hand, so I usually just sour it with a little white vinegar.
Which is also how this favorite pancake recipe of mine is done. It’s 100 percent so foolproof, that you can sub King Arthur White Wheat instead of AP and it still comes out really fluffy:

1 Like

I freeze it in small 4 & 8 ounce containers, for handy use.

1 Like

There’s powdered buttermilk, but it clumps pretty bad. Freezing it in portioned amounts is the best way to go.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.