Mad Scientist BBQ on trimming a brisket for home cooking

Originally published at: Mad Scientist BBQ on trimming a brisket for home cooking | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’ve found you don’t really need to trim a brisket. If it’s a really thick fat cap, sure lop some off. It makes handling the brisket and carrying the final product to the in-laws easier. In fact, making brisket can be really easy if you cheat like I do.

1. Dry rub it
  2. Slap it in a pan, fat side up.
  3. Cover with foil
  4. Cook at 210 in an electric oven for 12 hours (less for small brisket).
  5. Remove and drain.
  6. Allow to cool before slicing.
  7. Let guests use liquid fat or beef juices as they see fit.

For fancy touches, try taking the aluminum foil off a few hours before done. Or for the first few hours.
Rub with liquid smoke before using dry rub.

1 Like

What does he do with all the trimmed meat and fat? Perfectly good stuff.

Okay, right at the end he does say use it for “chili, burgers, sausages”. That works.

1 Like

Seems like you could just use a blowtorch to melt the fat off.

Fast and easy.

Or you could use some time and a hotter fire to start with.

I do a lot of pork shoulders and they’re way fattier than a brisket. I do carve the booties off of them. And save most of what I carve for later.

If I had an air fryer, I’d toss them in it. Cracklins from chicken thighs and pork products rank pretty high on my list of snacks.

Surely you mean offset smoker?

1 Like

Ah yes, that’s what I meant to say.

People cook briskets in those things? Where does the wood go?

Ah yes what ever happened to the candle stick maker? The fat render lady. Tallow.

Bums me out it’s become a lost art.

Into making the plates and napkins for eating the brisket.

Seriously, I’ve done the smoker version. It’s better. But not enough to justify the effort.

You want another centerpiece meat cheat? Buy your turkey cooked from Cracker Barrel. Or a BBQ joint. A bit pricey, but damn good. And brings down the holiday stress a notch.

Huh? I use my brisket trimming to render smoked tallow. I give the bits of deep-fried beef to the dogs.

I use the tallow in place of butter for lots of frying and sautee’ing things. I also add fat to things that might need more fat content, like ground beef for shwarma.

Also, art? Heat a container of fat at 250-300 degrees for a few hours, till it renders? Art?

1 Like

Anything that tasty counts as art in my book. Tallow is super yum city.

If I left ANY meat in the oven at 210 for 12 hours, I can guarantee it wouldn’t be remotely edible.

You did mean Celsius, didn’t you /s

Brisket will be fine

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.