BBS discussions missing

It seems like number of posts lately are missing the BBS linky.

Ex 1) http://boingboing.net/2016/04/07/disgraced-televangelist-jim-ba-2.html

Ex 2) http://boingboing.net/2016/04/06/new-tween-fashion-and-editoria.html

2 Likes

Yeah this is irritating and it just keeps happening. @eviltrout now that 1.5 is released, can you check the logging on our end to see why, sometimes, we just donā€™t create companion discussion topics for the blog entries on the BB WordPress side?

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure familiar with how the Wordpress plugin works but I can investigate on Monday and see what I can come up with.

2 Likes

It looks like we donā€™t log on our side the reason why a post cannot be created. We simply reply with with the error code and JSON error message. It looks like wordpress will log the error, so if we could get someone from boing boing to look at the error logs for when those posts were made weā€™d have a clue.

Otherwise perhaps we could log the reasons posts failed if an API key is present? Then weā€™d have it on our side in the future.

Yes letā€™s definitely do that. We want to get as much info as possible about the issue from our side first.

Okay Iā€™ve added some verbose logging to boing boing to help debug this issue. Now we just have to wait for a discussion to be missing again and to check the logs!

Can anyone following this please point out the next time it happens from now on?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one!

3 Likes

Yep looks like that is one. Anything we can correlate @eviltrout?

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know! My new logging is showing up so I suspect the problem is before the blog entry hits the discourse application. Iā€™m reaching out to our operations team to see if we have load balancer level logging.

1 Like

Hereā€™s another!

3 Likes

Aha, excellent. I was able to track down a rare concurrency bug with that post and I have a fix ready for it:

Hopefully this will fix the issue going forward.

2 Likes

Just as a clarification since our terminology is a little confusing, the ā€œfeaturedā€ bit applies to the topics selected for the categories page overview.

1 Like

@codinghorror And again!

Comments link points to its own page.

1 Like

Fixed it!

2 Likes

Hurrah! Now I just have to remember what I was going to say.

3 Likes

ā€œAny other examples of authors foreseeing 21st century media technology?ā€ it asks. But no one can answer.

3 Likes

Hmm can we cross reference that in our logs @eviltrout?

In response to Three modern media inventions predicted by 20th century: My absolute favourite: The Galactic Pot Healer by Philip K. Dick, 1969. In this one, it seems like everyone is highly skilled but under-employed. The government provides you with an office, a mail shoot, a daily benefit, and a kind of video/text connection to computers and people throughout the world, and everyone sits around all day playing ā€˜The Gameā€™. The Game involves selecting a famous quote or movie title and sending it from translation computer to translation computer until it is garbled. Then, you post the garbled translation on to a kind of bulletin board that everyone can see, and the winner is the person to correctly un-garble the post and workout what the original quote was. The historic example given by Dick as the basis for the fictional game has reappeared again and again as an example of early translation computer trials - Iā€™m not sure itā€™s origin, maybe it came from Dick. This reference saz it was a human error http://ice.he.net/~hedden/intro_mt.html

Other ā€˜predictionsā€™ in the novel include hive minds, precogs, and advanced god-like aliens - have they happened yet?

Looks like thereā€™s nothing obvious in our logs. I did see more concurrency errors and some took place around that time. I believe this commit should fix it:

It means all the autoclosing going on here will have fewer concurrency issues.

1 Like

Nice, we are getting some good fixes out of these investigations! Thanks for being on top of this, @Jorpho, @Woodchuck45, @Marktech et al!

2 Likes