BBS Trip Advisor

A friend just invited me to stay in her rental house during the Telluride Mushroom Festival in August.
I’m tempted.
Has anyone ever been?

5 Likes

Who cares if you’re going in blind? Just go!

6 Likes

Sounds a bit unhealthy.

5 Likes

Mushroom Festival or Mushroom Festival?

We missed the Oregon Truffle Festival by one week.

Baby Reaction GIF

8 Likes

They don’t have the agenda out for this year yet, and I imagine it’ll include more about psychedelics since legalization, but previous years cover a whole gamut.
I’m more interested in the cultivation and culinary and packaging aspects, but I’m not not interested in the other aspects.
I asked here because it’s not normally something I’d go all the way out there for, but it seems like a fun opportunity, just kind of up in the air right now.

7 Likes

I’m heading to Anchorage, AK next week. I’ll have weekends free. I should be able to see the start of the Iditarod but other than that, whats to see?

10 Likes

Never been, but this is a bucket list thing for me.

https://anchoragebrewing.company/

8 Likes

I’ll have a pint for you

7 Likes

Yeah I’ll definitely be stopping by!

8 Likes
8 Likes

The Kenai peninsula is totally worth a weekend trip. The drive down is breathtaking (and there’s a train, we just happened to have a car that weekend), and I think Seward is where I ended up, some of the prettiest views ever.
Heading the other direction, you can catch a train up to Talkeetna (where the old TV show Northern Exposure was allegedly based) for a kind of touristy but pretty trip. It’s slow, we saw bears on the way and had a fun time at the breweries and on the river in Talkeetna. The train is called Hurricane Turn, I think. It’s like a tour bus, they had a trivia game in the observatory, and stopped at some scenic places.

ETA: oh! And I don’t know if this is your thing at all, but in Anchorage, I stumbled across Darwin’s Theory which is my favorite kind of dive bar. Bunch of mouthy locals, like ‘Cheers’ but without the New England charm. :joy:

8 Likes

If you make it down to Kenai, check out Homer and especially the Salty Dawg saloon on the Homer Spit. If you’re into shots, order a Duck Fart. (I’m pretty sure every bar in AK makes this shot.)

3 Likes

I took a drive down the Kenai peninsula to Seward. Breathtaking indeed! Here’s a short video I took by the water.

This weekend I hope to drive up to Talkeetna. Theres a good brewery up there too!

11 Likes

Is anyone familiar with Incheon? I have a four day weekend in Seoul coming up, but I want to spend one of those days in Incheon, as I have been to Seoul many times, but have only ever seen the airport in Incheon.

I plan on checking out Chinatown, but I would appreciate any other suggestions.

3 Likes

Any tips for Whistler BC in the early spring? I’m not a downhill skier/snowboarder, but I am a cross-country skier.

3 Likes

Lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Have fun in Talkeetna, too. I was there in August, which was great, but I imagine you’ll get more of the real “Northern Exposure,” vibe this time of year.
He’s probably moved on by now, but the young-ish guy (maybe late twenties/early thirties, long dark brown hair) who worked at the liquor store right on the square made some of the best smoked salmon ever. Didn’t sell it, just had it around to snack and share.

7 Likes

Any suggestions for cool things to do in St. Louis?

7 Likes

The City Museum!

9 Likes

The village is a lot of fun for non-skiers (according to my non-skiing husband). I’m a downhill skier but I know they have cross-country trails.

There’s an indoor ice rink for skating and when we went it just about empty, which was good because we needed the room to maneuver. It’s north of the main village, across from the Nicklaus Golf Course. The restaurant at that golf course was also really good. I think it’s called Table Nineteen? A local skier encouraged us to try it and we were very happy.

I’ve taken the train a few times from Vancouver and it was worth it. However, I’m unsure if it’s still running? There were taxis to drive you between either village (Whistler or Creekside/Blackcomb Mtn) and the train station.

eta: the train service was suspended in 2015, which I didn’t notice in 2017 because we drove up from Vancouver. Boo.

4 Likes

Thanks, Yes! I was there a long time ago, good to hear it’s still going!

4 Likes