Be sure not to hold your sawed-off shotgun at the end of the barrel

7 Likes

Oh man, this is the lilt of my dad’s side of the family. Just hearing “fanger” sends me on a trip down memory lane. Tell you what.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Seem to remember James Caan couldn’t hit anything outside of a domestic situation…

11 Likes

This will probably annoy the f$%k out of you, but this company made a revolver that takes shotgun shells, and brags in their ad copy that it’s designed to spray the shot in a wide pattern right out the barrel. I believe in some jurisdictions where sawed-off shotguns are illegal it’s restricted because it’s basically a sawed-off shotgun in pistol form.

https://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=revolver

3 Likes

Never know I guess when the rabbits you’re hunting will turn the tables and attack.

3 Likes

I’m not gun guy, I don’t own one, and see no need for most people to own one even for protection. But if I lived out in the boondocks I could see owning a hunting rifle for wild game, and if society were collapsing around me I wouldn’t mind having a weapon of some kind.

However I would prefer society doesn’t collapse, and I don’t see the need for stocking up on tons of guns and ammo like a lot of gun enthusiast do (they seem to be itching for collapse.)

These kinds of scatter weapons are stupid and dangerous, barring a zombie apocalypse.

3 Likes

They must have changed the notability guidelines after I stopped editing Wikipedia.

1 Like

All of them! It could be because I have neverfired a shotgun. I fired a pistol, a sub machine gun, and an assault gun during the boot camp of my military service, but nothing else since. It was not very good at it, anyway. My instructor almost got a heart attack when I turned towards him after my pistol jammed. :flushed:

3 Likes

Just a quick note, don’t take grandpas old beater off the wall and saw it down to try this. Short barreled shotguns are part of the NFA and require you get an NFA stamp to make and own one.

As for the question of why, they were often carried in saddles on horse back. In the field it was great for snakes or a rabbit for stew. Stage Coaches carried them for protection. If it was a properly made one, with a choke included, you had about standard shot gun performance, in a more compact package.

Also if you try it be aware something like buck shot is going to jump a lot more than bird shot.

6 Likes

Seriously? You need to be reminded not to put your finger or thumb over the end of the barrel of any weapon? Life is good for me cuz I got gunz!!!

If that is your reason for owning such a weapon, maybe you should’nt own such a weapon. The Civil War is over, but by the looks of our nation today, I’m pretty sure the South won the war. If you were joking and I hope you were, /S is good. Drugs are bad… mkay?

… and you don’t have a holy hand grenade handy (or a boat paddle).

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be any harm in sensible safety advice being laid out in more places, does it?

4 Likes

They are a popular option for inexpensive home defense. We’ve had increasing numbers of home invasions in my area for many years now; the national trend is that violent crime is going down, but near economically depressed areas (MurderTown is about ten miles up the road from me) local trends don’t necessarily mirror the national average.

If you are philosophically OK with blowing away burglars, but you aren’t someone who finds shooting firearms to be an enjoyable sport, a short-barreled shotgun and appropriate loads will allow you to defend your home with a bare minimum of training and practice. For some people, that hits their use case perfectly; they’ll only have to shoot the thing about once a year to maintain a reasonable skill level.

3 Likes

Pretty much; Having a shootout in a bank or a home is pretty much the best way to get killed.

Climbing out a window when somebody breaks in, or running out the back door? Those people generally live.

3 Likes

Nice pussy hat you got there! /s

(i.e., I totally agree)

1 Like

Buckshot? My dad was buddies with a DEA dude back in the 70s, who hand-loaded shells for his sawed-off with tiny steel ball bearings. Claimed he had once actually cut a baddie in half at the waist with a two-barrel blast.

By the looks of that wiener you wouldn’t want to dangle one of those in front of the barrel either. Other than something you wish to destroy you shouldn’t have anything dangling out there.

1 Like

“… a simple point and click interface.”

2 Likes