Be sure not to hold your sawed-off shotgun at the end of the barrel

Before the Taurus there was the Thunder 5. I remember wondering “why” for all the reasons you listed back then.

It certainly makes a decent snake gun with a .410 round. Though personally I’d find a .38spl or .357 mag revolver more versatile, and they make snake shot .38 special rounds. But hey, some times “just because” is enough of a reason for something.

1 Like

Can confirm! Copperheads, particularly.

The biggest snake I ever saw in the wild was a timber rattler in Black Mountain, North Carolina. My grandfather drove over it with a Buick, several times, after Mr. Gigantic Snake made the mistake of sunning himself on the blacktop in front of the house.

1 Like

You cannot always safely avoid the snake. When grandma calls me and says that there is a rattlesnake in her utility room, the snake has to go. I prefer to catch them and release them elsewhere, but that is not always an easy thing to do. Grandma does have a shotgun, but the normal thing, if I am not close, is to use .22 shot shells in her pistol. The shells are marketed as “rat shot” or “snake shot”.
I would think that a 12 or even 20 gauge shotshell is a bit much for a snake. They do make a version of this gun that is .410/.45 auto, that looks like an interesting truck gun.

1 Like

Add to the problem that they’re territorial. If you don’t move it far enough away, then it’s going to come right back.

But I dunno, inside the house sounds like an accident, not a territory claim.

And outside the house, if you’re in a rattler area, if you remove one, you may get a couple of younger ones coming in to try to grab the territory, and competition and youth (like in humans) tends to make them a little testier.

And in most of the USA at least, I think the aggression/danger of our native snakes is way overblown. I’ve almost accidentally picked up a wee little Mojave green (he was coiled up just like the baseball sized rocks we were chucking out of boredom), sat down a couple of feet away from a Pacific (who just sat and watched us), and pretty closely observed, caught, and tissue sampled I can’t even remember how many Ruber’s (professor was doing DNA mapping in So. Cal).

Oh yeah, and accidentally peed on one once (first thing in morning, half groggy, near an anasazi ruin in AZ).

Never had one act testy except for the ones we had to catch and sample.

1 Like

I run into serious snakes fairly regularly in my job (forestry restoration, Australia).

If any of our staff claimed to need a weapon to defend themselves against wildlife, we’d probably sack them immediately on the basis of “nobody wants to work with an armed paranoid person”.

2 Likes

SEE!!!

If someone from the “God hates humans, and thus has made every animal dangerous” continent isn’t scared of snakes, then point made!

Our venomous snakes are powderpuffs compared to some other countries.

Interesting thing, A friend works as a human ER doc, and tells me that the rattler bite injuries in our area are almost always young males and on the hands/lower arms… Hmm… Wonder why?

3 Likes

Hey, lighten up, man. I wasn’t joking about the making fun of people’s dialect part. I’m a damnyankee myself, though.

I’m sure he just has it for fun, not to piss off any hypothetical yankees.

This guy has dozens of guns, and, of all those guns, this one is probably the least useful as a weapon, so if you’re going to get worked up about his guns, this really isn’t the one to get worked up about.

Okay Space monkey!!!

Then, I hope to see a video so others don’t shoot their eye out.

Just so you know, I am not anti-gun. I own one gun, a semi-auto .45. I practice regularly and I know how to use it. I had never owned a gun before until I was in a relationship with a woman who owned several of them. I bought a gun so we could go target shooting out in the west desert here in Utah. She showed me the ropes on how to shoot safely, accurately and how to clean it properly. She was a hell of a woman. Too bad she moved to Chicago. In retrospect it is probably a good idea I have it. To get to the point, it is a serious weapon and guns in America should be taken seriously, not to be making frivolous jokes on a blog.

I cringed when I thought Hickok45 was about to blow his thumb off IRL. He always struck me as a very responsible guy, but anyone can make a mistake.

1 Like

That’s not a shotgun though. That’s a sawed off lever action Winchester Model 1892 rifle called the Mare’s Leg.

(Sorry everyone, I’m a westerns nerd)

1 Like

‘rule of cool’ applies

1 Like

Oh, on that point I agree 100%

1 Like

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to make frivolous jokes on blogs.

1 Like

Okay Space Monkey!

:hear_no_evil:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.