Bear chases skier down mountain while others scream trying to warn him

snowboarders do : )

i’m always checking behind me to make sure i’m out of the way if someone faster than me is barreling along. granted, the rule is supposed to be: “if they are going faster than you, and behind you, it’s THEIR problem,” but i’m a cautious rider.

6 Likes

Such nonchalance. Straighten up, hunker down, and go aero. Bear wouldn’t have a chance (excepting for cases of the skier wiping out, but then really that’s just natural selection).

2 Likes

And here’s the video from the linked Newsweek article, that shows the bear going after the backpack:

7 Likes

I’m a sufficiently terribly skier, if I realized a bear was chasing me I’d probably panic and wipe out. Certainly trying to take off my backpack while skiing would be a high risk maneuver.

8 Likes

I would not think it likely, at least not a recreational skier. Especially downhill. One bear encounter I had was with a bear running down a hill adjacent to the road I was driving on, then cutting right in front of my car. I was on my brakes as soon as I saw the bear on the hill, but it was night and very dark, and I’m pretty sure I never got the speed down below 30 mph. The bear stayed in front of my car for a few strides, then veered off. I can still see the footpads kicking into my field of view. This experience convinced me that I wouldn’t be outrunning any bears. In those days, people used to say Grizzlies (which this bear in the video seems to be) couldn’t climb trees, however YouTube has taught me otherwise, so my backup plan would have been off the table as well :slight_smile: ( or maybe on the table in another context)

6 Likes

I wonder if the skier had something particularly delightfully smelly (to bears) in his pack? A bratwurst sandwich, perhaps?

6 Likes

I’m a terrible skier, too. If I realized a bear was chasing me, I’d wonder how he got inside and so close to the bar without being noticed. :wink: Maybe throwing hot buttered rum at it would help me get away… :tumbler_glass:

9 Likes

Yeah thats what ski poles are actually for.

2 Likes

One ski pole to the 'nads and you never forget.

3 Likes

True, they’re not necessary, but, when skiing bumps, they are very handy indeed. Get it? Handy?

1 Like

I was gonna say: the guy’s not a great skier, so not a good situation from any angle!

2 Likes

You mean, moguls? :wink:

But yes, he was definitely a novice skier.

BTW, don’t bears hibernate in Romania?

3 Likes

See how you like it when humans are constantly skiing over the roof of your hibernation pod!

10 Likes

More proof of my my theory that Romanian looks and sounds like Italian on LSD.

1 Like

Pizza. French Fries.

1 Like

You don’t actually need poles for downhill skiing. They mostly help with balance and with pushing yourself on the flat. But they’re not essential.

2 Likes

“Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses have been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing anything that might alarm you.”

-HHGTTG

5 Likes

giphy (1)

2 Likes

No! I’m not talking about hip hop stars here! I’m talking about snowy bumps of love! :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.