Freeskiing. At night. On LED-covered skis

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/08/freeskiing-at-night-on-led-c.html

1 Like

1 Like

The big jump at 1:40 was marvelously disorienting.

4 Likes

I assume he didn’t find any trees?

1 Like

7 Likes

Say hello to Natasha Richardson for me. And Sonny Bono.

Judging by the existing ski tracks I am thinking this was done more than a few times in the day and our insane hero here has the route down so they don’t have to think much about what is ahead.

6 Likes

For those of us who would like to attempt this without dying, there will be something pretty similar in the newly-released Steep:

4 Likes

Or, if you can’t wait, SSX has some glow suits and such.

This was obviously carefully planned out. At least one of the jumps is outlined in lights. And apparently there are spotlights following him the whole way. That why there are shadows under the skis when he’s airborne, when there are only lights on top of the skis. Yes, I know the poles are also lit, but they wouldn’t cause a shadow directly under the skis.

4 Likes

Looks like he’s also wearing a headlamp.

2 Likes

Nice to see someone doing/making something beautiful when the toobs are dominated by the orange destroyer day-in-day-out.

3 Likes

To be honest, what would terrify me is to have glowing skis and poles interrupting my perfectly decent night vision.

6 Likes

Night skiing (in a controlled situation unlike this) is one of my favorite things. Keystone has a run that’s a couple miles long and, in some stretches, you can find yourself as the only person in sight as you descend in peace with only sound being that of the snow passing under your skis.

4 Likes

I won’t claim to night-ski so much as I (and my brother/friends) have enjoyed imbibing some tasty brews into the evening and then found worthy snow-vehicles (tub, sled, skiis) with which to throw ourselves down the mountain. If we’d had LEDs, I’m not sure they would’ve been used…appropriately.

1 Like

I’m night-skiing right now.

1 Like

The camera is a bit deceptive - a full moon, as shown, over white snow is actually really bright - enough to cast distinct shadows, at least. Stopping down the camera to avoid the ski lights blowing out would necessarily make the surrounding area appear pitch black when it isn’t.

So riskier, yes, but not “skiing in utter darkness” risky.

3 Likes

I prefer full moon skiing over whiteout skiing because the single light source shows the contours better.
But even a single LED in my field of vision kills night vision.
I wonder if one could use active LCD goggles with pulsed LEDs to avoid this issue.

I’m sure the local rescue services won’t mind one teensy bit that there is a chance they might have to rescue an injured skier on a steep mountain slope in total darkness.
I am sure of this because I am absolutely convinced that Mr. Bijasson was conscientious enough to call the rescue services and discuss this matter with them before he set off.

1 Like

Of course he contacted them. How else would they have known to prepare their LED helicopter, ropes, and stretcher?

1 Like