This 180 degree headlamp is a game changer for night hiking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/28/this-180-degree-headlamp-is-a.html

1 Like

29 Likes

19 Likes

Cool; now you can ruin the night vision of a whole group of people at once, instead of just the person you’re looking at.

43 Likes

What I’m looking for is one of these – closer to 360 degrees!

8 Likes

4 Likes

9 Likes

I’m actually tempted to give this a try; I want to run some cables through some crawlspaces and for that this dingus might just work.
But apparently it doesn’t ship to Europe.

2 Likes

Just bopping into say that the Shop is on a particular tear today. Actually I guess this is like the usual flood of Shop posts we’ve been getting recently, except without the occasional news story inserted to break the crap-posts up.

13 Likes

if I buy 4 can I have 720 degrees of coverage ?

11 Likes

Yes really because MORE light pollution is what I’m looking for. When I’m night hiking in terrain that isn’t terribly dangerous I’ll turn all lights off if there’s even just a sliver of moonlight. After a few minutes your eyes adjust and it’s a much better experience.

21 Likes

Some headlamps have an IR gimmick that detects when they’re shining at each other, and dims it down, but that would be tough with a 180 angle.

14 Likes

It’s becoming increasingly ironic that I learned the term “crapware” from BoingBoing, and they weren’t talking about the BB shop posts at the time, but…

13 Likes

Beats the 360 degree head torch

8 Likes

Your head’s on fire!

5 Likes

I work in a homeless shelter. When people step out in the middle of the night with headlamps, it is for the purpose of doing crime (from what I can tell, of course they tell me nothing).

2 Likes

Head-mounted?

9 Likes

I would not walk with anyone who uses one of these.

4 Likes

" Its main feature is the flexible LED light that stretches across the front brim of your head."

The brim of my head? I have a brow and a forehead, but a “brim”? I am not Mr Fedorahead.

13 Likes

It shouldn’t be too difficult to fashion 2-3 of these into a halo; mIght make for good costume effects.

4 Likes