Watch: Another skier chased by bear, this one relentless, baring teeth

Originally published at: Watch: Another skier chased by bear, this one relentless, baring teeth | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Amazingly, Stoica seems to stay calm throughout the chase

Username checks out.

45 Likes

Wasn’t there some sort of sport where people would ski and then shoot rifles? Seems like a great slope to practice that sort of thing.

9 Likes

Next time the bear comes back with a rocket strapped to its back.

8 Likes

Yes, a biathlon [Biathlon - Wikipedia], but don’t use the standard competition rifle (22. long ), because bear will then kill you, instead of just giving you a mauling ~
(Too bad all the bear spray(repellent) was used up storming the Capitol).

9 Likes

Not to be speciesist, but damn bears look weird when they run. Something about how they turn their front paws in makes it look damn silly. I’m sure my observations would be different if I were on that slope, though.

9 Likes

Crikey, that bear has got an impressive turn of speed. It is a shame that the creature is now one more missed meal closer to death.

As @anon33932455 mentioned; that ski instructor is very well named.

13 Likes

Now the bear has nothing to bring to the teddy bear picnic…:cry:

17 Likes

The time honored game of “chase the Romanian”, good times, for the bear.

11 Likes

California: We have Bear Valley!

Romania: OK, sure.

11 Likes

Bear: “You know, at least the Germans brought snacks. And the Americans were slower skiers. How’s that vaccine distribution coming along?”

6 Likes

You can see that bear’s ribs. Looks starved to me. I wonder if it’s an environmental thing or just a that bear thing

4 Likes

Exit, stage right.

8 Likes

This isn’t going to stop till the Romanians quit using the real word for ‘bear’

8 Likes

In Romania, young Brown Bear has a play.

2 Likes

end of the winter, bear maybe coming out of hibernation recently so the winter fat is gone. He maybe should go back to bed for a while . (I’m told bears do this, their hibernation is really not complete so you can encounter them throughout the winter. Don’t know really other than to say always carry your bear spray whatever the time of year)

9 Likes

Considering they have already had an incident of this earlier in the year, why were the resort staff not carrying bear spray? This bear has had an interaction with people that probably didn’t make him any less likely to engage with people in the future which will lead to the bear being shot or a human being injured. Or both. If you can afford ski equipment you can afford bear spray

4 Likes

Live cam inside a bear den. The menu in the upper right of the video frame has the previous day’s timelapse that shows how active they can be while hibernating.

2 Likes

What, no mention of SkiFree?

https://ski.ihoc.net/

image: screenshot by PCgamer

6 Likes

This is either some seriously amazing backward skiing (at least, to this guy who can’t ski) or some equally amazing over-the-shoulder no-look photography.

3 Likes