Bear escapes from zoo enclosure – 2nd time this month – forcing guests to move indoors

Originally published at: Bear escapes from zoo enclosure – 2nd time this month – forcing guests to move indoors | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yay!!! It wasn’t Dallas this time!

3 Likes

19 Likes

“Yep… this should hold him.”

Alternatively, don’t lock up bears in zoos?

11 Likes

Good luck, Ben. From the St. Louis zoo it is just a short hike to join the WashU bears, and from there the alumni network can get him back to the Andes.
I’ll volunteer to take him; I’ve never been to Ecuador

8 Likes

So send him home already. This is cruel.

2 Likes

It’s too late, the bear will already associate humans with food, shelter, and socialization, and will seek humans out no matter where you drop it, assuming it even has the skills to survive in the wild anymore. Bears, even Andean bears, are just not compatible with safe human habitation, nor are bears ever safe around humans. His species is endangered and at high risk for extinction, and so breeding in captivity such as the St. Louis Zoo’s program does may be their one slim chance at keeping the species alive.

Three guesses which culture still thinks this bear’s gall bladder and paws are worth more than the average worker makes in a year.

2 Likes

And this, people, is why I don’t laugh at Japanese zoo bear escape practice drill videos!

C-R3RQJXgAYHlLy

6 Likes

Did they give him back his baseball?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.