Beard club members mistaken for Scary Muslim Terrorists by Swedish police

[Read the post]

1 Like

HA HA HA HA!

21 Likes

Because generally, terrorists just hang out in public places taking pictures of each other.

16 Likes

Terrornoia at its finest.

2 Likes

Who are they trying to be? America?

6 Likes

It would be fairly easy to stage and find out. Have a group of bearded non-white men, dressed in the same way as the men in this shoot, stand around making selfies with a banner, and have an anonymous friend call in the alert.

“If you see something, shave something!”

8 Likes

Yes, “mistaken for Scary Muslim Terrorists by Swedish police” indeed.

I would also note that it was two police officers, not a swat team in riot gear, that were sent to investigate.

12 Likes

Great. One more thing to get me put on some terrorist watch list.

I’d shave it off but I am too lazy…

2 Likes

They didn’t get arrested/the special search/shot, so they aren’t up to American standards yet.

Side note- I was in this area on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Glad I’m not beardy!

3 Likes

The gathering of the Lumbersexuals.

4 Likes

The public is right to be afraid! A beard is a powerful thing. Great power requires great responsibility.

2 Likes

If they hadn’t all been white guys, they wouldn’t have been in a beard appreciation society :smiley:

6 Likes

As usual, misleading/incorrect headline.

The Swedish police did not mistake them for terrorists. A member of the public did. The police apparently laughed.

7 Likes

Nothing to see here.

Misleading headline. Also, injecting American race politics into Swedish events.

2 Likes

I know that a certain level of clickbaity crap is to be expected, but are headlines that are directly contradicted in the article really necessary?

Probably I just can’t handle the truth of news aggretation and I can only comment here because someone out there is willing to make up shit on my behalf.

4 Likes

IIRC - there’s a ‘Lumbersexual’ isle at Toys-R-Us. YAWN…YAWN…YAWN…

Yes, but how did the conversation between police and the caller go?

Caller: Driving down the highway, I just passed a crowd of 30 bearded men standing on a hillside.

Police: Terrorists?

Caller: Could it be anything else?

Police: No need for more information, we’ll be right there.

No the police didn’t mistake a beard club for terrorists. The issue is that the amount of evidence required to elicit a police response is apparently quite low, and the police are complicit in that. The bottom line is that the police considered 30-odd bearded men gathered on a hillside to be a potential threat. That if they weren’t wearing beards, there wouldn’t have been a response.

3 Likes

I think the call probably went something more like this:

Caller: There’s a group of suspicious looking men hanging out together and taking pictures of each other!
Police: Suspicious how?
Caller: You know… <whispers> Terrorist looking.
Police: “Terrorist looking?”
Caller: Yeah… Bearded… Male… I think it might be ISIS!
Police: Ok, we’ll send somebody to have a look. <rolls eyes>

hangs up

Police: Hey, if there’s anybody who’s not busy, will you go have a look? We just got a dummy calling up saying that ISIS was hanging out taking selfies.
Other guys: Yeah, we’ll go have a look, it’s a slow day. Should be good for a laugh.

half an hour later
Other guys: Yeah, dispatch? It’s a fucking beard club.
Dispatch: Hah! Figures.

I think of it like a game, now. “Guess which headlines are actually the complete opposite of the story in question!”

4 Likes

Isn’t the current record for Scandinavian terrorism held pretty conclusively by a nearly beardless(sometimes has an atrocious little chinstrap thing) white guy?

Clearly its the ones who don’t embrace their follicular potential that you have to watch out for.

1 Like