Beastie Boys' 'Sabotage' was about the band's frustration with their sound engineer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/02/beastie-boys-sabotage-wa.html

4 Likes

I thought the revelation that Brass Monkey was about their short-lived collaboration with folk-rock troubadour Donovan was more interesting, to be honest.

6 Likes

Poppycock. It’s about a handful of rogue cops who fight crime with an edge honed through years of service. They’re tough, sure, but they’re the heroes we need. Plus, epic facial hair and undercover disguises.

9 Likes

Seriously? I’d normally assume you’re taking the piss, but Ad-Rock was married to Donovan’s daughter for a while so it also sounds plausible.

Guess I should just buy the damn book and find out.

3 Likes

This was 100% made up by me just being silly, and I had no idea that Ad-Rock was married to Donovan’s daughter. Man, reality is too weird to parody sometime, you know?

11 Likes
8 Likes

There is something about real life experience translating into passion in a song that can really help propel it.

Other examples include Garden Party, Smoke on the Water, Yellow Brick Road, and even The Day the Music Died.

1 Like

What I took away from this story: holy crap, Sabotage came out in 1994?! How did I get so old?

5 Likes

Similarly, “So What’cha Want?” was actually inspired by one of the group’s many heated arguments over pizza toppings. That’s why the opening lines are

Well, just plug me in just like I was Eddie Harris
You’re eating crazy cheese like you would think I’m from Paris

5 Likes

Sabotage is old enough to drink. You’re welcome.

5 Likes

Please don’t. :frowning:

4 Likes

Girls is a song about girls.

You’re welcome.

6 Likes

+1 for “folk-rock troubadour”

DONOVAN

3 Likes

The magician!?

2 Likes

Leonard Cohen’s rockumentary Bird on a Wire has some epic dramas about sound guys ruining gigs. Check it out. Check-ch-check-check-check-ch-check it out.

1 Like

And also, Jane Fonda was there.

1 Like

1 Like

Hoping that is a Marillion reference. :hugs:

You may have to please yourself on that one…

thatswhatshegiphy

1 Like