Beat the body pain with these trusted CBD gummies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/28/beat-the-body-pain-with-these.html

“Take 2-3 gummies a day to beat back a variety of ills including anxiety, sleeplessness, and nausea.”

That’s a claim of efficacy/treatment which the FDA doesn’t condone and has been pretty clear about. CBD is not a supplement (unless you’re treading on someone’s patent protection) and you’re not allowed to make drug claims without going through clinical trials.

21 Likes

Not for now, thanks, my jury’s still out on whether this stuff is just the latest echinacea maca root green tea placebo.

12 Likes

Be sure to pick up some homeopathic remedies as well, which will cure your cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and whatever else ails you without all those terrible side effects of actual medicines and treatment.

7 Likes

xvQP2J2|nullxnull

7 Likes

As a fibromyalgia and sciatica sufferer i’ve tried every type and strength of CBD going… From sweets to vapes, oil and even bud and none of it has helped me in the slightest. It’s hard to get fibro medication in the uk especially if your male as some doctors still believe it only effects women so trying CBD is my last resort as I really don’t want to havee to resort to steroid injections. I’ve pretty much given up on CBD now.

5 Likes

Maybe move on to THC?

Edit: sorry, missed the “bud” part. I hope you find some relief soon. :+1:

4 Likes

These, obviously! Because, reasons!

9 Likes

Thank you. THC is pretty much all i have to use now but being in the uk means i’m taking a risk just trying to get hold of some.

4 Likes

non-psychoactive compound derived from the cannabis plant that has loads of testimonials about its stress-busting properties

nonpsychoactive - “not affecting the mind or mental processes”

stress - “A condition of physiological or psychological disturbance to the normal functioning”

By definition, something that is “non-psychoactive” can’t be “stress-busting.”

I hope they are paying you a lot because shilling snake oil is really off-brand for BoingBoing and terribly damaging for your reputation.

13 Likes

I don’t want to be a debbie downer, but you guys need to be super careful about your ad copy here.

11 Likes

Well, to be fair, placebos are also, by definition, non-psychoactive, and they can be “stress-busting,” so…

7 Likes

I see you’re new here! Wait no, you’re not, you should realize this is par for the course. :wink:

And I see you’re in NoHo — hello from Sunderland!

8 Likes

“They’re C-B-Deeeeelicious!”

5 Likes

CBD is present throughout the cannabis plant (but obviously people want the buds because that’s where the THC is concentrated). Farms have popped up to fulfill the demand created by expanding legalization efforts. Like all farming operations, there’s organic post-harvest waste that has to go somewhere. What if a middleman could create a fad market for something that’s basically the waste product of another process? Boy, that sure would be a great idea. Anyway,

4 Likes

Fibromyalgia can be terribly debilitating and getting effective treatment is not easy. I’m sorry that you are suffering from it.

Unsolicited, unqualified medical advice alert: I am not a doctor, and I do not know you at all. The following observation may completely worthless or worse than worthless:

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant that is sometimes perscribed for neuropathic pain. A family member of mine has severe fibromyalgia and for her, gabapentin is the difference between long-term disability and an approximately normal life.

3 Likes

Gabapentin makes me a zombie and contributed to my divorce. But I am glad it is helping your family member.

2 Likes

See, that’s why I put the disclaimer there.

For my family member, the cognitive problems that arise from taking gabapentin are so vastly less than the mental fog and constant, diffuse pain of fibromyalgia that the cost/benefit works out.

2 Likes

Sure, it’s something of a fad market using waste product–but that doesn’t mean by itself that the product is completely a fad market. There have been some studies on CBD which seem to indicate that it does in fact have some benefits for some people. For instance, it seems to prevent or help prevent seizures for childhood epilepsy patients and animal studies indicate it might help with pain when applied to the skin.

What we don’t have–and what we desperately need–are studies addressing all of the claimed benefits in humans, how it should be taken or applied if it is effective and what kind of dosage should be used. I’m sure some of the claims will turn out to be bullshit, but it doesn’t look like all of them.

Having said that, the ad copy here is embarrassing.

2 Likes